Teaching the kiddies

BCBabe

Snow and kids are a combination that we all know can be a lot of fun.

We took that fun and made it into a lesson in survival for them.

Cat-litter buckets make AWESOME snow bricks; large snowbanks are fantabulous to tunnel into and make snow-caves. Ours think it's a major howl.

Imagine the surprise of the kids when they found themselves in such a place, and too warm!! They also discovered the need for an air vent at the other end of the 'cave'.

They know, now, why Eskimos build igloos, and why: them things is WARM inside.

FireBuilder

When we clear the driveway, we pile it all into mounds that the kids use to make tunnels and caves. It makes for great lessons in physics when they try to tunnel too fast, too deep, too wide, etc. They discover on their own the benefits of a rounded roof and branching tunnels.

Chippin

Wow, what a great idea! When I was a kid we never even thought about making an igloo even though we played outside for several hours at a time. My nephew is coming of age though- he's starting to explore and loves hanging out in the snow. I'll have to see if I can do a similar project with him.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I remember a snow we had as a kid. Four feet in one day. It was heavy too. Then it warmed up and rained leaving about two and a half feet but frozen on top into clear ice. We tunneled through our back yard and built quite a labyrinth of paths. Whenever we needed light we went up and made skylights never breaking the ice cover. It lasted about two weeks before the thaw came. I was never cold when I was climbing through those tunnels. It was quiet and wonderful inside them. I never forgot it or how bad I felt when it finally went away. But then Spring came and there were lots of things to do.

Rider One

Those are truly great adventures at home for kids and a good basis for getting them acquainted and prepared for real outdoor experiences. I love the concept; it's so fun!

Jade

Cat litter buckets to make snow-bricks with.... I'll be damned, and what a creative way to go.

At that size, the weight wouldn't deter a child from participating, either.