Tent brands...

FreshAirLover

Do you ever take into consideration the tent brands when choosing a tent, or do you follow other criteria?

I did some research online and I discovered there are so many brands out there that it's very difficult to decide. The most popular ones are: Aztec, Coleman, Gelert, Lichfield, Outwell, Sunncamp, Vango, Royal, Sprayway... The last two are my favorites; they have very cool shapes and are very comfortable.

LittleLady

I haven't purchased a new tent in quite a few years, but I was at Costco yesterday and they had a 3 bedroom tent for sale. I was in awe. It was so much nicer than any I've ever owned. I didn't buy it, but I keep thinking I may go back for it. It was a Coleman.

IndianaHiker

I don;t rely on just the brand but it does play into my decision to buy somewhat. I like getting a good brand as they tend to back their products better if there is a problem with them. Here is what I look at the most: Stitching, Materials, Design, and weight. Being a backpacker I look at the weight as hard as I do anything else. Another thing I want is a tent that has good ventilation. This is cooler in the summer and also prevents condensation in the winter or fall.

I can't say that I have ever heard of the brands you mention except for Coleman but that maybe that the aren't in the smaller light weight tents that I have looked at. I actually just gave up tents and have started using a tarp instead. Sleeps 2 and weighs 1 lb. However there is no bug protection and had no floor. If you are using it for car camping on other thing I forget is that I would want a tub style floor.

EyeOfThePark

I especially like to look at tent catalogs online, on sites like Amazon and Shop.com ...

I currently have two tents - a Coleman and a Lichfield. I'm very happy with both these brands, but I would be tempted to try another one, just for the sake of diversity. What tent should I try next? I was thinking to purchase a Force Ten or an Easy Camp...

Michael

Tent brand isn't the most important factor, but it is a factor I consider. If there are two identical tents at the same price, one a Coleman and one a brand I haven't heard, I'll buy the Coleman.

Qweetzy

Same here. It's not the number one consideration for me but it is up there. You get used to a brand and it's reliable and it tends to get hard to break out of the mold. I would rather look at a brand that has served me well before and has been top quality, but I do look to see if they are of the same quality as before. I have been fooled before with equipment that was the same brand as the last of that item but they dropped the quality. I do know that some brands make a "top of the line" item for some stores then make a lesser quality item of the same thing to sell to discount stores.

konadownhill

I always buy gear that has a lifetime warranty. Springbar, Sierra Designs, North Face etc. You pay (alot) more upfront, but get a much better made tent (or sleeping bag, jacket etc) that the company will stand behind. When you are in a Montana thunder bumper with rain pooling on the fly and running in rivers underneath, you will be glad you are not in a WalMart tent.

Judy Ann

What they all said, plus what type of camping do you plan to do? How much are you willing to spend? How much privacy do you want when your tent is beside someone elses? You might consider going into your local sporting goods store and talking with the sales person there. Pitch the tent and see if you have enough room inside for the number of people you want to camp with. Have fun!

hikinboot

I will go for a brand I know before I will a brand I do not know. Unless it has some amazing features, I tend to stick with the old standbys.

safn1949

Weight is an issue with me,I have a Sierra Designs and a Tarptent Rainbow.The rainbow is very lightweight and is nice in moderate temps but is a bit breezy,so I use the sierra in colder temps.Say 35 F.:tinysmile_tongue_t: