Tent heaters

monkeycat

With the weather being typically chilly in the winter here in Britain and my first winter camping exertion coming up in a few weeks time, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any tent heaters that they have used that they would recommend to me?

Thanks.

SQuirrel

A good sleeping bag and a disposable handwarmer should be all you need. Eat right before you go to bed so there will extra heat made from digesting your food. Keep hydrated so your blood will flow freely keeping the extremities warm. And you can always boil water and throw it in a nalgene bottle and cuddle that like a teddy bear. If you ever need to regulate your body temperature, put the heating/cooling device on your left side where the blood leaves the heart. That will be most effective for changing your core temperature.

All that being said, Coleman makes some nice little catalytic heaters that don't produce carbon monoxide and very small amounts of carbon dioxide. I also know of people who will burn a small candle lantern inside the tent to knock the chill off, and help with moisture condensing on the tent walls.

HereToday

If those Coleman heaters are the ones we tried then I have to agree, if you're going to use one, you'll discover that those are very well made and do a nice job of gently heating the interior of the tent.

rubybeetle

Mr. Heater's Buddy line of heaters are awesome. They come in a few sizes. I like them because you can also hook them up to your propane line at home and use them in the house.

pavan

Hot Vent Pro 70 Vent SAFE Heater
Pro-70 with 70,000 BTUs of safe heat. This unit is in use world wide heating all types of portable enclosures and shelters. The Pro Vent keeps carbon monoxide outside and the clean safe heat inside. This product is available though our military division. Blower and air ducts sold separately. Propane tank not included

sunny

I dont know anything about this, but the sugessions made above are good as i searched about them. Try any of those.

richy

Tent heaters are used to heat tents and other semi-enclosed environments. They
must be used with adequate ventilation.

tpk

Air vents help reduce the effects of condensation. When people breathe, they expel quite a lot of water vapour. If the outside of the tent is colder than the inside, then this vapour will condense on the inside of the tent, on any clothing lying about, on the outside of a sleeping bag, etc. Hence ventilation helps to remove the vapour, although this may let in cold air.

anand

Coleman Blackcat Portable Heater
The Coleman Blackcat Portable Heater is a high out-put catalytic heater. In layman's terms it means you have heat and warmth without a flame.

Outdoormom

We had the coleman heater and I returned it to the store. I didn't like it. It didn't seem to give off enough heat. Now, the Little Buddy heater is awesome. I would suggest you look into that one. They set off a lot of heat.

ODWoman

Just make sure that it's a heater made for the purpose and that you follow all of the safety instructions...I personally would be nervous about using something like that, and would prefer to find other ways to keep warm.

Newanderthal

sleeping pad, good sleeping bag, thermal shirt, thermal pants, knit cap.

warm, safe, comfortable night's sleep without the extra cost and weight of a heater.
also, make sure your tent isn't too big. A solo tent (or 2 person if you're significant other is coming along) minimizes the amount of cold air.