Tent Heaters

Judy Ann

Has anyone had any experience using tent heaters? I've planned to head south for some beach camping next weekend and it looks as if rain and dropping temps are probable. The tent doesn't leak, but I'd like to keep somewhat comfortable if temps get below 45. Might like to read a while without my teeth chattering! ;) I have considered something along the line of Coleman's Black Cat heater, but I'd hate to burn down the house (large canvas tent). Thanks for any help and advice.

Judy Ann

Thanks for the advice Fridge. The MH4B Little Buddy might be the ticket. It's tough going from ultra light to a base camp setup; too many fuel sources are making me a little nervous....KISS (keep it simple stupid) has always been a guiding principle and a lot lighter to carry in!

Lorax

Just throwing this out there if you find you either can't find a heater or didn't have a chance to get one before your trip.
Heat up some H2O and fill a Nalgene bottle to keep in your bag with you. It works.

BCBabe

Just throwing this out there if you find you either can't find a heater or didn't have a chance to get one before your trip.
Heat up some H2O and fill a Nalgene bottle to keep in your bag with you. It works.
A hot water bottle was Heaven on some nights: the right bag and one of those, and I was off to la-la land like a baby.

Another trick was heating a clean rock by the fire, and then wrapping in a towel and taking it to bed with you: curling up around that 'package' was a great way to keep warm, too.

outdoorsy

I would go with the rock and bottle idea too, I'm a bit nervous with heaters or anything of the sort in a tent. I'm sure I would kick it over or something in the night and start my tent on fire. Are they really safe?

konadownhill

Yes, the buddy heaters have a low oxygen shut off switch and a tip over shut off switch. spent many a warm night with the buddy / big buddy heaters

Judy Ann

I'm wondering if the Little Buddy would be as safe? I was snug and warm in my backpack tent and have been concerned that the additional cubic feet of air space in this bow-flex will be too cold under same early winter conditions. Don't laugh but...I'm going to keep my REI tent fly rigged up nice and snug over my bag with the hot water bottle, warm rocks for radiant heat, and dog with her sweater on her at my feet. I think I'll be ready to comfortably read myself to sleep...or...have to get up to pee after all that!!!! :)

konadownhill

get any buddy heater specifically designed for indoor use with the low oxygen / tip over shutoff. use it to warm for a few minutes at night. turn off if nervous. turn on (matchless / piezo ignition) in the morning or as needed. you can also leave a window cracked for air, but a canvas tent will by nature breathe.

Bud

Will the Mr. Heater work well on a boat do you think? I have canvas I can zip into place to keep the weather out. I've been in the market for a safe heater so I can go earlier in the season and fish later into the season as well.

ChadTower

A hot water bottle was Heaven on some nights: the right bag and one of those, and I was off to la-la land like a baby.

Another trick was heating a clean rock by the fire, and then wrapping in a towel and taking it to bed with you: curling up around that 'package' was a great way to keep warm, too.

Yep. We always did heated rocks in a wooden box for general heating. You have to have the box to keep from damaging the tent from the rocks. In a pinch you can just put them on a pile of sticks so long as you don't kick them. The best part about this is that you don't have to carry the rocks in with you or a fuel source for them.

I know those fueled heaters have a carbon monoxide meter in them but I still fear that meter failing. I would never be comfortable using one of those without a secondary protection against CO poisoning.