Tent Stakes

FireBuilder

I detest those straight metal tent stakes. I have never yet used one that didn't bend like a coat hanger the second it hit a rock.

RatherBRiding

Have you ever tried a "Ground Hog" stake? They are three-sided and don't bend at all, but you will need a sturdy mallet to drive it in.

CBatch

Grrr... I'm with you on this one. They bend awful and do not go in the way you want so they don't hold the tent down properly! We even have had some them come up and have to be put back in the ground!

outdoormarc

Survival Guru
I use the 6" Easton titanium stakes with my lunar solo, highly durable and at .3 oz per stake you can't go wrong.

jake_6_6

Yeah those standard issue metal stakes suck. I use a polymer stake sold by Catoma Outdoor. They are super light and crazy strong. They say you can drive them through a 2 by 4.

Joe S.

I bought a set of plastic stakes years ago. They are light weight and they are designed such that they dig easily into the ground when you beat them in with the back of your ax.

Grandpa

backpacking tent; And I get along with the coat hanger stakes just fine. I never try to force them in but wiggle them around and through the rocks, thus, letting the rock act as a "deadman" to give the stake stability. Occasionally, in loose ground I will double stake my main guy line just to make sure.

campground tents; I use the 12'" nails

Hunting wall tent; No messing around here, 2 ft x 3/4 inch rod, installed with an 8 lb sledge.