The best bait for catfish?

Chippin

The only bait I've ever used for catfish has always been chicken liver, but that's because my Dad has always used chicken liver, so I learned from him. Are there any other suitable baits for catfish? What is the appeal of chicken liver?

dinosaur

troublemaker
Chicken livers work well but are soft and will come off the hook in moving water or be nibbled off by smaller fish in still waters. Beef liver will not.

Nitecrawlers are also an excellent catfish bait. Cutbait also works well or for big cats, a six inch bluegill or a raw chicken leg. For giant cats, use the whole chicken. These are just a few. If you want more suggestions, try going to the site for the Indiana Catfish Association. I'm sure there are others, but there are plenty of experts on that site that will be happy to share their secrets.

jason

fear no beer
Anything that stinks. the old timers here will leave some shrimp out for a day or two before using. They say the worse something smells the better luck you will have.

Starling

I did hear that the stinkier the bait was, the more the catfish would like it. Shrimp might be easier to hook too than some other half-rotten piece of meat. Thanks for the suggestion!

Dinosaur, I've tried beef liver before but haven't had too many bites from them. I've also never hunted the big cats before though I've always wanted to. Thanks for the site link! I'lll be sure to check it out!

Smack

Chicken livers are probably your best bet, but only if you're fishing from a boat and can drop the line straight down. Fishing from the bank means you have to cast your line out, and nine times out of ten, the liver will come off. I've also heard of people using chunks of Ivory soap, but I've never tried it.