The Lion Whisperer

JimBob

I stumbled across something I find amazing recently. It's a guy by the name of Kevin Richardson from South Africa. They call him "The Lion Whisperer". He has a website with videos, but there are a lot more on YouTube, including a series with him. He works at a wildlife preserve where he has constant up close playing and communication with Lions, Hyenias, and other large cats.

There have been plenty of guys to be around lions, but not as intimate like this with so many of them. He is basically part of several prides of lions. He rolls around playing with full grown male and female and plays with their cubs. There is even video of a mother giving him her newborn which I'm pretty sure is something that never happens.

His way of living makes my 9 to 5 look meaningless, because of his passion for what he does and how he lives for it. I'm already someone that likes animals and is intrigued by them, but this guy blew my mind. Check him out if you want too. It's very cool. I'd post some links, but I'm not sure if it's allowed.

Grandpa

I wonder if he is related to the guy who used to live with the bears till one got the munchies and needed a snack??
DC
I was thinking of that bear guy too as well as the Australian that got too close to one critter too many.

Bella Rae

I think I watched a movie, with that bear guy. It might have been his footage? I love to see passion about animals, but a person needs to remember the animal is still wild!

outwest

Brave man. I have done tons of silly things in life that I would never do again but I doubt I am going to curl up with a lion. I just do not have that craziness to me anymore I guess.

oldsarge

By the looks of the video, it's a wonder they didn't shoot each other.

ppine

Forester
There are always a few people who want to get close to wildlife. It is almost never a good idea. Bad for the people, who get hurt a lot. And bad for the wildlife because they lose their fear of humans and become dependent on them. That makes them vulnerable to being killed.

Last edited:

Grandpa

As Lamebeaver has been pointing out, if that many guys can't hit a charging animal with rifles, what about us pistol toters? Oh yeah, we are better shots, right?:tinysmile_twink_t2:

JimBob

I don't think any of you actually took a look and heard the guy explain what he does. He basically started with those lions since they were cubs. It is rare, but he is basically a part of their pride. It's not like he just walked up to some random lions in the wild and started all that. He spent years building a relationship with them. It's the ultimate trust situation. He didn't build those relationships like all the people that use whips and other dumb methods of trying to "tame" the big cats. Anyhow, I think it's an awesome find and it's great what he is doing and has been doing for 12 years with 38 lions.

Grandpa

Jimbob, neighbor had a wolf. Raised it from a little puppy. It played with his kids, slept in the house and was one of the family. Boys were out playing, little 3 yr old started running after the bigger boys and the family wolf gave the little guy a playful nip at the back of the neck. Killed him instantly. You don't breed out generations of predator with one animal. Wild animals are called wild because of their instincts.