The Medicinal Use Of Liquor

OldSole

Does anyone ever carry liquor with you any more for medicinal purposes? I remember Granny keeping a pint of whiskey in the house to use for wounds, pain medicine and for cough syrup. Even we kids were dosed if necessary. Of course, with today's options for pain medication and for wound disinfection, I don't think it's needed or used as much any more. I remember how well it cured a cough though.

Pathfinder1

I usually don't trek very far,
when all aroung me alcohol are.

Hi...

Yes, I know plenty of (usually deer) hunters who have "their share" of alcohol, either with them, or at their deer camps.

Hope no innocents are nearby when they're afield.

catspa

I use blackberry brandy for cough syrup (when I get a cough), right before hitting the sack. Don't drink alcohol otherwise, except for homemade wine once in a while.

Parker

Lamebeaver

I think I feel a cough coming on.........

Moderate alcohol consumption is good for the heart and helps raise your good cholesterol level.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I have been known to carry a small flask of brandy into the woods. It certainly takes care of a throat that has sucked to much cold wind.

Grandpa

Hate the stuff but Creme de Menthe is a great cough syrup. Well, hate is a pretty strong word, maybe I just like some of the other ideas better.

Jonas

Usually we have a driver that just brings the beer. I don't carry any on me personally though I know a lot of campers usually have at least a pint of whiskey to chase away a cold coming on.

Lefty

Having a little "hootch" on hand is medicinal in the sense that it is good for morale to enjoy a nip or two after a long day stomping around outside. It'll cure what ails you.

Newanderthal

I started using Everclear to fuel my alcohol stove. It's a multi-use item. Fuel, disinfectant, and key ingredient in Riot Punch.

OldSole

Vodka clears a bunch of stuff off of glass, mirrors, lenses...etc. It also clears sticky stuff off of glass, such as wife's hairspray that has oversprayed the Dolly Parton hairdo (circa 1960s).

Judy Ann

Mini bottles of scotch fit nicely in my First Aid Kit. Unfortunately single malts aren't available in my neck of the woods, but we make do with blends. I've heard of platypus containers good for wine and liquor, however ..............

Grandpa

In the old days they were called bota bags on the ski slopes. In my college days it was first lift up in the morning and rush to jump on at night just ahead of the ski patrol. A bota bag of red wine, some gouda cheese, ritz crackers and we were on the mountain for the day.

"Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end, We'd sing and dance forever and a day" (words credited to Gene Raskin, sang by Mary Hopkin)

Judy Ann

Ok gentlemen, I might be mistaken but I thought I heard Grandpa singing over the rockies and through the woods...I'm usually the first or second to bed at night in a group setting because I want to feel good in the morning. I have been informed rhat I am old (darn, I hadn't gotten the hang of middle aged yet) so I can only surmise that I must need my beauty rest! LOL!!!

Grandpa the only time I ever drank anything while having fun outdoors was on the back nine out at Stono Ferry in SC. I was pretty serious about my golf game and a half a beer later the other 3 players cut me off. I'm fairly certain that it had nothing to do with driving a ball towards the green from the mens tees maybe 20 times just to say that I could. I'm a lightweight.