The Medicinal Use Of Liquor

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I use Sailor Jerry for many things. Sleep aid, anti-anxiety, ummm "stamina enhancer". My brother-in-law has used his Bacardi 151 to start fires. Many uses for the adult beverage.

jason

fear no beer
Never really thought of caring it for those reasons. A little bit of whiskey rubbed on a teething child works wonders. Or so I'm told.

oldsarge

So far I've received three bottles of Glennfiddich in the past two weeks...I think I feel a "bug" coming on...some time this weekend!

oldsarge

Hi...

I have read about "oldtimers" who would use booze to kill bacteria in questionable drinking water.
I kinda wonder about that. Many years ago a guy told me that if you were feeling sick, drink liquor, the alcohol will kill off the bacteria. Then I had a guy in medical school say that alcohol doesn't stand a chance against the fluids in your stomach. They have a high PH factor and if that doesn't kill the bacteria neither will the alcohol. Like I said, I often wonder? But then again your statement does give me a reason to season up the water supply!

By the way, the bug I spoke of on post #23...it's here!

Last edited:

Pathfinder1

Hi...

A shot of gin (for example) in the mouth, and held as closely to an aching tooth as possible, can sometimes be effective in temporarily reducing the pain of a toothache. Of course, it can be held in your mouth for only so long...after which it must be swallowed...further reducing the pain...!! (don't ask me how I know).

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Never really thought of caring it for those reasons. A little bit of whiskey rubbed on a teething child works wonders. Or so I'm told.
It will also make them sick as a dog. Ask my father (I was too young to remember projectile vomiting all over him and everyone around me).

Try cold teething rings. Leave the booze to those old enough to decide whether to ingest it.

Woods

I'm sure that many people use this excuse for drinking. :) But hey, if its for medicinal purposes no one can dispute that it is bad, right? :D

jason

fear no beer
It will also make them sick as a dog. Ask my father (I was too young to remember projectile vomiting all over him and everyone around me).

Try cold teething rings. Leave the booze to those old enough to decide whether to ingest it.
Well, I'm sure today it is considered child abuse. But it did work for my brothers and me without making us sick as a dog, or sick at all.