The Smells

Telna

It might sound funny, but the thing I love about camping the most is the smell. Everything smells natural and fresh out in the wilderness. Then you add in the smell of a campfire and I'm just in heaven!

oldsarge

What's really amazing is how certain smells can trigger memory. There are times when out in the woods on a humid day when I can close my eyes and be back in the junlges of Panama. God I miss that!

Telna

What's really amazing is how certain smells can trigger memory. There are times when out in the woods on a humid day when I can close my eyes and be back in the junlges of Panama. God I miss that!
Smells trigger so many memories for me. Camping smells always remind me of camping with my grandparents as a kid. Certain areas remind me of the college I went to, which had a lagoon with a very distinct smell.

Grandpa

On my infrequent trips to the city I can certainly understand your love of smells from the out of doors.

oldmangunner

I do not think it sounds funny at all. I live in a city and I can tell a difference between the smell of the city and the country. I love being out in nature and getting to breath fresh air.

Camoguy

There is a place I go nearby that is on a mountain. You can tell when you get up above the pollution and the human created mess that you usually smell. It's very refreshing to get up there. I want to live there.

Hikebike

I can smell the campfire sitting here in my house. I love the smells of camping too and I love the way I can remember the smells even when I am not camping. Roasting the hot dogs on the fire, the smoke from the campfire, the smell of the rain when we are outside camping - just a few of my favorite smells.

greentea

The smell of the campfire usually reminds me of smoked meat, which is one of my favorite foods. Other than that what I usually enjoy is the fresh air, most to the time it doesn't even have dust in it.

Telna

the smell of the rain when we are outside camping - just a few of my favorite smells.
Yes! I love the smell of rain while camping. Actually some of my favorite days camping have been the ones where it's raining and you can sit in your tent and smell the rain and hear the water hitting everything.

Sperez

Yep, the wonderful smells of those fires going and just the smell of pine is the biggest attraction for me in tent camping.