Tick bit my baby's scalp!

uday

I'm worried! My mother found a tick on my 1 year old daughter's scalp. The bitten area looked like an insect bite but my daughter didn't show any signs and symptoms, she's still hyperactive and cheerful. I cleansed the bite and applied Vandol ointment to the site of the bite using a cotton bud. Please tell me my daughter will be alright!

rayne

She will most likely be O.K. Watch her for any changes or fever. If anything happens it will most likely treat her like a bad cold or the flu. Did you keep the tick?

CozInCowtown

It didn't suck her brains out or 'nuttin did it?
J/K!!
We live in the country and our kids allways have tick bites, chigger bites, 'skeeter bites, snake bites, alligator bites and so on an so forth.
Some ointment ( I like Foil ) should do the trick. Like mentioned above, just watch for anything that would indicate a problem.

Just make sure you remove the tick correctly to avoid the tick head staying attached and getting infected.

Coz

Last edited:

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
My 6 year old had one on her throat a few years back. Removed and cleaned. No big deal. Never got sick, but she didn't want to go back to grandma's in the woods for a while.

campclose

Gator and snake bites? That is some country living. We too live in the country and we mostly just get 'squito bites. I would think she would be okay though. Keep a good eye on her.

uday

Thanks a lot for positive responses! She's doing fine guys. Still hyperactive as ever. She even managed to hide my left slipper in our fridge just a while ago. I'm still worried. My significant other told me to stop being a worrier but I'm still worried.

ppine

Forester
This is life in the outdoors. You will find that outdoors living is cleaner than city living with lots of UV light, rain, and oxygen to keep things clean. You become part of a living system of organisms so some vigilence is required especially for young kids.

ponderosa

What part of the country are you in? Around here I wouldn't be too concerned about a tick bite. If I lived somewhere with a high incidence of Lyme or other tick-borne pathogens, I may consult the doc.

Greatoutdoors

Don't worry she is fine! I have already pulled several of my 1 year old and my three year old this year. As long as she doesn't develop a rash or a fever she is fine! The one on my youngest was on his chest and the head got left in. Just so happened that we had a pediatrician appointment two days later and she said even that was still okay. Just clean it and keep an eye on it. :)

Cupcake77

I used to babysit for a little girl who had a tick on her neck in her hairline, that nobody noticed for over a week. That thing was huge by the time I picked it off her. She had a big mark on her neck for awhile but she never got sick, other than being tired from loss of blood! I think your daughter will be fine, just keep an eye on her.