Top folding knife manufacturers?

woodsman

I wanted to see what you guys thing are among the best in the business today. I no particular order I'm thinking Kershaw, SOG, Wenger, heard a lot of good things about Spyderco, but there design is a little off putting for me.

Last edited:

oldsarge

I think some of the top folder makers would be Benchmade, Spyderco and Cold Steel. Good personal defence knives. Easy opening with strong locking mechanisms. I also like CRKT, Al Mar, SOG, Timberline, Wenger and Kershaw. I'm sure there are other knives out there that are fine, I just can't coment on those that I have no experience with. All my folders are for personal defence, one hand opening with belt clips. I prefere straight blades to serated. Spyrdeco's are nicely built but the serations are not my favorite.

Barney

Benchmade, Spyderco, SOG, and Cold Steel are my top choices. Respectably: Benchmade Griptillian, Spyderco Tenacious, SOG Flash II (more utility than survival knife) and Cold Steel Recon I (awesome specimen!). Take your pick.

Michael

I tend to favour Kershaw, CKRT, and Victorinox. Not saying they're the best, just that I've had very good experiences with them.

andykitna1987

Spyderco's are great. As you said a lot of their models are funky looking. All are exceptional tools though. I own a Chinook III and ParaMilitary II as well as a mini Jester. Benchmade are also very good. Kershaw is better than fair. Cant go wrong with a good ol' Buck folder. Sog is another good choice. I have a pretty decent size collection. Let me know of any particular make and model you may be interested in and I can give you a more detailed response.

greentea

Hm let's see Striders are top of the line, but I'm a still a bit hesitant to drop a grand for a folder, other great makers would be Zero Tolerance which is a Strider and Kershaw joint op, Benchmade is always a nice choice and well if SOG is good for the SEAL's it should be sufficient for most users too.

Luvoutdoors

I like the Kershaw and the Cold Steel myself, but my husband really likes the Spyderco. I think knives are like guns it's all about the way it fits in your hand.

Grandpa

I carry a benchmade when backpacking and a kershaw when hunting. My multi-tool is a gerber as is my "dress up" pocket knife.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I have three knives I carry all the time. The largest is a CRKT M-16. I've had it for 12 years. I have a Spyderco mini lockback that has a one inch blade; very tough and useful. I've had it for 14 years. I also carry a Victorinox, the famed Swiss Army Knife. It is the basic knife, not that two pound monstrosity. I've had it for 31 years. It was purchased in Switzerland and flown back to the U.S. in a pants pocket. Times have certainly changed.

Smack

I like Case and Hen & Rooster knives. Although H&R are huge manufacturers of pocket knives, they make hunting knives as well. They tend to be expensive, though, but they are one of the best made.

Barney

I forgot to mention one company that also makes excellent middle class knives and that is Leatherman. Although known for its multi-tools, knives are available in their array as well.