Trailer people question

Michelle

If you have an RV do you do most of your cooking in it or do some on a campfire? We vary things but are thinking of getting a liquid fuel stove-just so we can cook outside and maybe in the back yard for tent night.

Are they worth it? Would it be redundant?

CampingFamily

We've had trailers before and always try to cook outside as much as we can. It is usually cooler that way, especially in the summer time. I think if you were going to use that type of stove at home too then it would be worth it.

den's wife

We have a fifth wheel so have a few gas burners inside. We generally barbeque our meat outside for sure. If the weather is bad, I'll do the veggies inside. Otherwise we have a Coleman stove we use outside.

Michelle

We usually do a potlluck with a bunch of people so because I'm making such large amounts a lot of it has been done in the trailer. Sounds like a good deal to get one then for when it's just us. Thanks again all.

wvbreamfisherman

If you'd be doing a lot of stuff at once you might want to look for a 3-burner liquid fuel stove. I think they are still available. The cooktop on our pop-up can be moved outside and hung on brackets on the side of the trailer, and there is a quick-connect hose to hook it to the gas system too.

ppine

Forester
Having a trailer really extends the season for sleeping and traveling away from home. In colder weather, cooking inside really warms up the rig. In warmer weather we mostly tent camp.

I like to cook with dutch ovens on a fire (slow cook)or a propane stove for fast meals.

Last edited:

Lorax

We usually cook outside for a few reasons.
1. Our campers have always been small to keep it simple
2. We don't go camping to be inside

ejdixon

It really depends on the weather conditions. On any regular day, we'd do our camping outside. It's part of the fun of it. The only time that we decide to cook inside if it's just raining really hard.

DMan

We have a barbeque and a grill so we do most of our cooking outside. That way no one has to be stuck inside. If the weather is cold or rainy I'll still barbeque but my wife will do the rest indoors.

btatro

We currently own a trailer and do the majority of the cooking over the fire. I think it really adds to the camping experience. This is not ideal, however in inclement weather. In the case of rain, we will typically resort to eating things like sandwiches or something we can simply heat up over the open flame stove inside the trailer.

Marshmallow

We cook outside and often use those small disposable grills you can pick up for almost nothing at the dollar stores. It's so easy to fix small amounts of food on them and throw them away when you're finished. It cuts down on what you have to carry home with you.

clewand550

I find campfires to be the best way to cook when camping. I always felt that cooking in your camper really wasn't camping. I love the way that things cook on the campfire and I love the flavor of campfire cooking. I also love the fresh air and being outside.

hummingbirdee

My suggestion is to do a combination of both. A camp stove would be a great investment in the event of an emergency, so you can't go wrong. We like to cook inside when the weather is bad. Otherwise, it is better to go outside and enjoy nature and the campfire.

Cappy

Cooking is a big part of our camping experience, us Cajuns live to cook and it is a focal point of any camping trip. The only thing we cook inside is coffee. Sometimes it takes this chubby ole cappy a cup or 2 to summon up the courage to open the tent flap or camper door, shucks that goes for the screen door at home too. We do all our cooking out side and our answer is propane burners when we not fire pit cooking.We have a big burner for a big black iron pot that we are never with out and a two burner propane burner set. we bring a couple 5 gal propane tanks when we tent camp and have a couple mounted on the front of our camper. I have a manifold with 4 hose conections that I screw on one bottle and can run lanterns burners etc on one bottle. I own some ultra light stuff that I usta use for canoeing and back packing. Shucks I aint fired that stuff up in years.