Training dogs

Hikebike

My son wants to take our dog out hunting. Our dog has never been trained to hunt and I’m not sure I like the idea. Our dog is a beagle so I’m sure he would be a good hunting dog but I don’t think I want him to be. How many people here take their dogs with them? How safe is it? How did you train them?

Judy Ann

What do you want to hunt? How old is the dog? Water fowl hunting dogs are different from coon dogs and deer dogs. Some dogs are good for fox hunting like beagles. Bird dogs are another breed. How do you train hunters from shooting your dog when they flush a pheasant?

campfire

I would think there would be a lot of training involved before you were able to take him. I've never brought my dog, but that's because he's not a hunting dog, but a family dog. Honestly, I think it would be more of a hassle than it is worth, unless that is what you want his sole purpose to be.

Grizzly

Grizzled Camper
I have a Vizsla which I trained for Pheasant hunting.

The first step is determining if the dog has a propensity to hunt the animals you are looking for. I have seen many "hunting dogs" that don't know what they are out there to hunt. It is no use if you rabbit hunting and the dog is only interested in looking for birds.

The second step is gun breaking. Be very careful with this. There are many website that explain this in detail. I have seen a lot of great dogs get screwed up because they are gun shy. This is a major problem to correct once the dog is scared of shot guns.

The third step is training for the type of animal you are trying to hunt. This must be done before you go hunting for real.