True of False?

Penny

Is the myth really true about not camping under a tree? I was thinking isn't it the same as camping in the open when a lightning bolt could strike?

jason

fear no beer
Lightning will find the path of least resistance. A tree which is much taller then you will more likely be hit by a lightning bolt then you would be if you sat on the balls of your feet crunched down holding your knees. Also trees tend to drip water long after it rains, and if it is a pine tree you could get some sap on your tent that is a pain to remove.

countrygal

Lightning will always hit the highest point as it is the path of least resistance for the electricity. Although, I have gone camping in the woods where there really wasn't any choice but it's always a bit riskier if you have a choice. Of course, a lot of animals climb trees, too, so that's something to consider.

justontime

It is best not to camp under a tree because things or parts of the tree could fall on you. Birds would use your tent as a 'target'.

Sky

I wouldn't take it for granted that the lightning would go for the tallest object. Sometimes, strikes are random and can hit anywhere. The best protection from lightening is not to be out in it.

atula

I also think that many animals do nest on the tree and in a way we could be intruding...they might get scared...by our presence...

Ted

There are a multitude of reasons not to camp under a tree. However, the main on in my mind is snakes. Snakes like to climb trees after birds and I'd rather not have a large snake fall on my tent in the middle of the night while he's looking for his midnight snack!