Under the sky

ramp

During your camping trips, have you ever slept under the sky? I mean not sleeping in a tent, but doing it outside without anything between the sky and yourself. How did it feel?

Dreamer

I have never slept without being in a tent. There is usually too many bugs flying around for me to do that without getting eaten up alive. I do love laying down on the ground and just stargazing though, it is so peaceful.

boomerang

I have never tried this either, but I would love to. The potential problems with bugs and other animals that usually keep me from doing it. But before going to sleep, I would usually spend time laying down on the ground staring at the sky for awhile.

woodzman

When the weather and the mosquitoes will allow it, It's my favorite way to sleep outdoors. I feel more a part of it all than I do when I use a tent or even a tarp.

WileECoyote

Bears see people in sleeping bags and not in a tent and think "mmmmm tacos". LOL Just kidding. Yeah I kinda like that every now and then. It's beautiful to wake up in the middle of the night and see stars instead of walls.

HappyFeet

I lay down on the field to watch the stars at night but I won't sleep outside the tent. Mosquitoes and weather are my enemy. I don't want to wake up at night because of rain. And I surely won't be able to sleep with the mosquitoes feasting on my blood.

Pebbles

No, I have never slept out of the tent. I really don't like bugs that much, so just thinking about it would probably have me tossing and turning. I am thinking about for our next tent purchase, to get one that has the flaps you can open on top to be able to look at the sky.

Moose

That sounds wonderful! I love to do that. The only drawback is if it does start to rain or if there is a heavy dew falling. Other than that, a good sleeping bag does wonders for the cold and a good fire keeps the critters away.

ramp

I am thinking about for our next tent purchase, to get one that has the flaps you can open on top to be able to look at the sky.
It's a great option, using which you don't need to sleep outside to watch the sky and the stars. Is there any tent which has a transparent plastic layer under (or on) the flap so that you don't need to worry about the rain either?

grand

I think that would be lovely if the mosquitoes and bugs are absent. But the morning dew and the cold dawn would have me scampering for cover inside the tent.

Hilltopper

No, I really have never thought about sleeping out in the open. I know it's just a thin shell, but I like the protection of our tent from the bugs and other things.:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

outdoorsy

I'm not one for sleeping without a tent or something. I have to admit that I have had a bit too much to drink in my younger days and slept at the campfire in a chair!