Unnecessary gear?

evergreen

I often meet people who look like they packed everything except the kitchen sink for a two day trip. I myself keep it simple nothing that I don't need, I like to travel light. Of course this depends heavily on my destination and time I will be spending there.

dinosaur

troublemaker
You know you have too much gear when something goes wrong and you forget that you have the gear to fix the problem. Other than that, you can never have too much gear unless you're backpacking and can't carry it. I have found that miniaturization is the key. Eliminate bulk and weight. I bicycle camp and I have had folks come over to my camp with looks of amazement, asking if "all of this came off of that bike.".

Michael

I like having some basic comforts and flexible tools. I know I could get by without my 4 oz shovel or a small pillow, but they're good to have.

Other than that, yeah, minimal is the way to go. A tiny tent with as light a sleeping bag as I can get away with, and everything as small as I can get it. Paracord is fine instead of a length of heavier rope. Then leave all the frills behind.

In warm weather, I can overnight with under 20 pounds of stuff (including the pack itself, as well as all my food and 3L of water). Cold weather adds another couple of pounds for heavier clothing. I could trim a few pounds out of what I carry, but I'm comfortable with extra ways to start fires, more first aid gear than I tend to need, an extra flashlight, and similar extravagances.

woodsman

If I'm going backpacking then yes as light as possible, but if I'm going with the car I almost take an extra of everything. My friends usually end up forgetting something so it's good to be prepared.

Hannah

I made the mistake of going on a hike and taking way to much stuff, it nearly killed my back for the 20km round trip hike. The next time I went I majority downsized and still had enough stuff to get me by.

Thumper

I don't take a bunch of unnecessary things but I'm glad when I have a few basics for everything. If nothing else I would rather carry too much than not enough. What if you were stranded and had to survive? I would rather have extra than not have something that may help me survive.

evergreen

I honestly don't understand the logic of bringing two of everything on a hike, if you are going to get wet, than your backpack is probably going to be wet too, so I do not see the benefit of carrying extra clothes.

Alliegator

I take a bunch of stuff but none of it is unnecessary. I have a regular listing of things I take and some of it has really come in handy sometimes. I don't like to need something and not have it available.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Evergreen, if your stuff gets wet it means your pack isn't waterproof. You need to work on that.

Frederico

I try to be minimalist - safety items before spare underwear. So I'll pack a loud whistle and a "space" blanket but have never used them. Other than that I use everything that I pack, part of the challenge and fun is keeping the weight under 20 pounds.

Flatlander

If I'm car camping there's no such thing as "too much crap." If it fits and might get used, throw it in/on! Like Dinosaur, I've had people watch in awe as I loaded (conservatively) 300 lbs of gear into/on an Outback after spending 9 days camping at 10k ft in the Rockies (Guanella Pass- I highly recommend it!!!). We had nights in the 20's and an inch of rain in an afternoon. You know who thought those occurrences sucked? The people watching me load all of that "crap" in the car. For me, the joy is seeing how much can be packed into a Subaru with 2 humans and 3 dogs! Backpacking... whole different animal.

Weirdest thing that gets loaded for every car camping trip? a rake. It's great for cleaning up butts and debris before and after, and it takes up almost no space at all. A ranger will thank you for it... eventually.

Last edited:

Randy

Rock Lizzard
Rock Lizzard Esentials

1. Water/2-16 oz
2. Nuts, raisins, peanut butter in plastic jar, love that stuff
3. Small tent
4. Low temp sleeping bag and inflatable mat
5. Matches, candle, book - survival of course
6. Light weight-breathable rain gear
7. Walking sticks
8. Extra clothes for weather changes, don't forget your hat and gloves
9. Hunting knife, 10' climbing cord (might need to get up or down a bad spot)
10. Brains / without this one you could surely die

Even though many more essentials are needed for a long trek, I recommend keeping your pack weight manageable. It only takes a few days to realize you blew it.

Drink often and eat that will lighten your load and be sure to take short breaks to recharge.

I keep my pack at 70# / I actually own a scale and weigh it out prior to hitting the trail.

Grandpa

70 pounds?? manageable?? Wow, you must be a real stud Randy. 9 days, 80 miles, September in Yellowstone with rain, snow and mountain passes and I thought I was overloaded at 38 lbs. Yes, I had food left over and dry socks I hadn't worn despite fording Thorofare, Yellowstone, Snake and Heart rivers.