Untouched by Human Hands

Traveler

My friend just got back from his vacation in the Philippines. He told many wonderful things in his tour. The best is the hiking trips. He told me that they went into a remote place where civilization is very far. The place is untouched by humans and its like going back in time. He said that they went into this waterfall where the stones in the river are made up of petrified trees and fishes are transparent that you need to focus on the water to see them moving.

I was so excited about his story but I'm just concerned of the security in that country. I still remember the missionary who was kidnapped and killed by the rebels years ago. Will you go to the Philippines if you have been given the chance to go there? I definitely will but I will wait until the government there solve their security issues.

Christie

I have several close friends who are from the Philippines. They have told me more than once, that being an American in the Philippines can make you a target for kidnapping in some areas. They say it's safe in the big cities, but i don't think the hiking is too scenic in the cities.:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Bushman

Not to sound callus, but if you worry about everything that could go wrong, i.e. getting kidnapped or breaking your leg then you might as well stay home.

I try to keep my situational awareness active where ever I go, by being mindful of my surroundings and trying not to stick out (whether it is around the corner or around the world).

Yes I know being foreign makes me stick out, but looking afraid and acting paranoid makes you a target.

The short answer is yes, I would go if I had the opportunity.

Gopher

I would rather not put myself in harm's way if I know about it. I would rather go somewhere I know a little about too. I think if you don't speak the language you are really taking a chance in a foreign country.

firefly

I don`t have any desire to go to another country. I have been on one cruise to Mexico. I would rather stay home and see pictures of other countries. I`m a chicken and to scared to go out of my country.

Foxyloxy

I have a good friend who spent many years as a missionary in the Philippines and there were several situations when her life was in danger. I'm not opposed to foreign travel, but I think I would probably choose somewhere more stable.

Wild Bill

I have to agree with Bushman, I would go in a heartbeat. Sure the situation seems scary at first, but once you have been through it you can look back and be glad you went through it.

I don't go looking for adventure but when I have one I'm able to tell a story about it, like the time I went skiing and we were so high up in the clouds you couldn't see 5 feet in front of you.... good times!

HappyFeet

I would also go if the opportunity presents itself. In my own opinion, everybody dies and if its time for you to die then you die no matter where you are.