Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • No.

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
This is just an idea, I'm curious to see what y'all think. I know there is stuff like this out there but imagine an online community of campers and camping enthusiasts sharing camping spaces in an urban environments, cities and neighborhoods. Urban Camping, in the backyards of urban homes. People could hosts campers that rent their yards for short periods of time. The part that I think could really make an impact is, members can choose to donate a percent of their proceeds to national environmental preservation charities like the National Park Trust through the website. What do you think?
Sounds like when those whiny babies camped out down the street from the NYSE. No thanks. I wouldn't want to be mistaken for that rabble.

Hikenhunter

Pitching the tent and sleeping in the back yard is alright with me if the grandchildren want to sleep out. I will do it for them because we did it when we were kids and I understand the excitement that kids can have just because it is different and it is outside. When we were kids we did it and no one felt the need to be out there with us. Times are changed and I would do it for them so they could experience it the way we did but I would be doing it to keep them safe because unlike my parents and grandparents I would worry about what others sneaking around the neighborhood might do to them. As for actually camping, forget that. I too go camping to get away from the backyard.

Cappy

Every year around mardi gras all of south Louisiana turns into an urban camp ground. Last year we had 2 campers a winabago a pop up and 2 tents in da yard for carnival the family all came down. ya aughta seen the lil wheel on the elec meter spinnin. With all that plugged in we dang neer threw the bearing on the thing.

Marshmallow

City yards are usually small enough that there are enough cars, trucks and noise-makers already without adding to the ruckus. I say leave camping to less populated areas. You have the right, but would your neighbors appreciate this? Mine would not, and I would not want my neighbors to have folks camping out all night.

swebob

This would never fly in South Florida where i live with code compliance issues. Anyway you cant judge a book by its cover these days trusting people just to come home and find your house robbed and your campers are gone..

TroyS

I may not represent the majority view, but I'm having a hard time imagining why anyone would want to hang out in a trailer in somebody's backyard, especially in the middle of town (or worse, the city). It seems to me that it would be awkward and just not fun.

I'm having even a harder time imagining why I'd want to let strangers hang out in my backyard.
I would have to agree on that one, ponderosa. Aside from the fact that my wife will kill me if I even suggest this to her, fact is that not everyone's got a sprawling backyard or area where you can park several RVs or pitch a number of tents. I'm sure that it would be great for the guests. But it might be a completely different story when it comes to when you're the host.

Cappy

As far as neighbors go..... I live in a very small country town where everyone knows every one. Any time a few camps get set up in my yard the neighbors ALL COME BY TO SEE WAS UP AND USUALLY BRING STUFF OVER AND JOIN IN.