Vinegar hardens your feet.

Sammee

Well, this may or may not be true. I got a few blisters one time while hiking in newish boots and my stepmother told me that I should have soaked my feet in vinegar over several days and this would have prevented them. Anyone tried this?

IndianaHiker

Rather than soaking your feet with vinegar I would suggest boots that foot properly and good socks. Then you want need to worry about blisters.

Hikebike

Vinegar for soaking your feet? Never heard of it before. I would also suggest good boots and make sure you break them in prior to taking a long hike. Nothing worse than blisters.

I have heard of soaking your feet in epson salt when you are done with a hike to soothe them.

Valdaree

I had a little look on the web and whilst I did see other people claiming this, I can't find any evidence of it working. In fact one of the suggested uses for vinegar is to prevent burn blisters so maybe this is where the confusion arose?

dinosaur

troublemaker
I don't know if vinegar hardens your feet but it sure cleans my coffemaker and it's good on salads.

Camoguy

^LOL I've never heard it but you never know. It is a mild acidic solution. I have to agree with Hikebike on this one. You have to get good fitting boots and break them in properly before you take off on a long hike.

mountainguy

Other than making your feet smell like pickled egg's I don't really think this will do a how lot of good for your general foot health, buying quality boots might be a smarter choice than vinegar.

Greatoutdoors

I don't think I'll be trying this one since I can't stand the smell of vinegar but I can speak from experience that epsom salts work wonders for tired feet.