Walking sticks?

koolaidguzzler

When I started backpacking in the 70s I used Colin Fletcher's THE COMPLETE WALKER as my guide, and it strongly recommended a hiking staff.
I've used shovel handles, dual ski poles, field expedient sticks, wooden manufactured hiking staffs, and a 1999 older version of the LEKI Wanderfreund "cane" style adjustable aluminum trekking pole. I keep it at about 40 inches long, and hold it like a walking cane. It helps me keep rhythm on flat walks, relieves some leg effort on uphills, helps stabilize me downhills, and is essential when crossing streams and sloped muddy trails. I've used it to test areas for snakes, knock on rocks and logs to test for rattlers and scare off rattlers, clear spiderwebs, prop up my pack when I sit on the ground and use the pack as backrest, field expedient tarp pole, picking fruit, dipping canteens into creeks, retrieve gear fallen into crannies or places you don't want to stick your hand into, pushing aside poison oak, poking fires, using it to retrieve stuff when I don't feel like getting up, and just about anything else you might do with a stick with a handle on the end. I adjust it shorter when I go uphill, longer when going downhill.

NOW, that said, I keep trying to convert to some variation of a wooden stick, because of the aesthetics, feel, and ruggedness of a wooden shaft. But the aluminum trekking pole's adjustable length, much lighter swing weight, and the difficulty finding a cane-handled wood stick over 36 inches long that's light but strong -- those factors keep me going back to the boring ultralight adjustable LEKI wanderfreund.

koolaidguzzler

Newanderthal, those look sweet. Looks like you used golf club wraps for the grip. Great idea. What did you use for the rubber tips? And what's the length? I'm not yet in a situation to handcraft stuff, but will be by the end of the year.

Newanderthal

tennis racquet wraps I picked up from Dick's Sporting Goods. The tips are rubber hiking pole replacement tips.

To make a pair, cut some bamboo poles that are about 1 inch diameter at the bottom. Use a saw to cut them. Gently sand the poles to scrape that waxy coating. Let the poles dry until they turn yellow. Takes about 2 weeks to fully dry in the sun. Figure out your length (you can stand upright and bend your arms 90 degrees so that your hands are directly in front of you. Grip a pole, and measure it from the top of your hand to the floor) Cur your pole 2 inches shorter than this measurement. In the narrow end, insert a wooden dowel or a bit of wood that you carve down to fit snugly. Slide it in about 2 inches and have about another 2 inches protruding. Use wood glue to secure it. Slip the rubber tip over this wooden protrusion and stain your hiking pole. Wrap the handle and enjoy.

ponderosa

I spent many years thinking that hiking poles were kind of gimmicky, unnecessary extra weight, and that I'd really prefer to have my hands free. I first tried them on a backpacking trip when I was pregnant, and carrying my toddler on my back. My balance at that point in the pregnancy wasn't all it could be, and I didn't want to risk a fall crossing streams, rock slides, or snow. I didn't really expect any benefit from the poles, other than balance. I was blown away. I was much stronger and faster hiking uphill, and my knees felt much better on the downhills. Since then, I always use them. They are strapped to my pack only on level stretches when I don't have a heavy pack (which is virtually never since I'm generally packing one of my kids).