Warm Socks

FireBuilder

For hiking and other outdoor activities in cold weather, do you like the real wool socks, the thick thermal socks, or multiple layers of cotton socks?

Lorax

The thickest wool I can find.

At the end of the day, there's nothing like a clean pair of heavy wool socks used solely for the purpose of pampering your tired dogs.

steves

Cotton bad, Wool blend good, even on completly dry ground at some point your feet will sweat and cotton socks will NOT dry then the cold sets in and forget about comfort.
Good hiking socks will have a blend that allows them to stay drier and warm in the worst conditions.
Never try to make up for poor boots with good socks, but a good combination of both will allow for longer outings.

BCBabe

Merino wool athletic socks (well, that's what they look like, anyways).... I order them online from Marks Work WearHouse in Canada. Regular wool leaves me with a prickly rash, I can't wear it up against my skin, and wearing 2 pairs of socks is a nightmare I don't want to deal with.

I pay close to $20 a pair for the socks, but they are SOOOOOO worth it.

Hammster

Always SmartWool or Thorlo (or equivalent) over a pair of sock liners. I'm prone to blisters and this combo works so well for me. No blisters and always toasty feet. Apres hike, I'll remove the boots and that sock combo and slip on a thicker pair of socks (not as concerned about anything other than thick at this point) and my Teva sandals. That really feels great.

Rider One

Count me in with the wool folks who have responded to this post thus far. Cotton is a joke; it doesn't do any good at all, but that wool does the job.

Refrigerator

Yes cotton is not the way to go now with new and better products that work for you. If anyone out there uses cotton socks I am not in no way wanting to offend you as I would love to hear why you use cotton. I once used cotton and at one time that's all I had and made the best of it.....I use wool or synthetic socks now and wow what a difference....all you cotton sock users are on my radar and I want to hear your input as to your brands and techniques. I have recently been to the a Desert region and noticed many use cotton so I ask them about there choice of clothing and they said cotton will hold moisture keeping the body temp cooler by keeping a moist barrier between them and the outside environment.

They all were not sweating as I was with synthetic as I was sweating and sunburned......i

Bambi

I think there is no substitute for wool while being out in the cold. Wool socks, goves, hats, jackets equal instant warmth for me---even if it gets wet.

Refrigerator

Yes Bambi Wool is definitely great for warmth especially when wet....it just gets heavy when wet but does retain almost all it's heat retention value. This is why many quality Clothing brands are integrating wool with synthetic....

Aria

I make all my own wool socks my husband gets the super thick ones and I do doubled lambswool tweed with a Marino blend. They seem to wear and wash the best.

Michael

The past couple of weeks in my area have been snow-tastic. Every time I go outside, my feet get pretty well soaked. It has confirmed my faith in wool, which keeps you warm even when it's drenched. Even when walking through slush, with my legs drenched to the knees, my feet have been comfortable.

Smartwool just wins. I've found nothing better for dealing with cold weather.

Susie

I am a wool sock woman. Sometimes I will wear a thin cotton sock underneath if it's on the warm side, as the wool will give a rash if my feet get too warm.

Jobiwan

I am a wool sock woman. Sometimes I will wear a thin cotton sock underneath if it's on the warm side, as the wool will give a rash if my feet get too warm.
Darn Tough, Merino wool blend socks, do not itch, are durable and are very comfy. I don't use a liner with these and they are soooooo incredibly soft. They cost about $15-20 a pair.

Note: My philosophy about foot care:
When trekking, the feet are your main contact with the ground, getting you from point A to point B, so to have a selection of different types of socks and shoes, to me, is very crucial. Proper foot care (thorough pedicures) as a whole is essential. A beautiful journey can be ruined by blisters, ingrown nails, wet slimy feet etc. All which can be prevented. I always carry an extra pair of liners and socks when I go to the woods. It's part of my 10 essentials. Most of the time, especially with day hikes, I don't need a sock change but I have them just in case. The right shoe/boot for the current trail conditions is important as well. Breathable, waterproof gaiters help keep the feet dry too. Without my feet, I couldn't have gone to some of the natural beauties of this world. There's something about standing on top of a mountain knowing that you just walked up it.