warm ups?

outwest

I keep up on the exercise daily (even on the weekends) and I am in generally good health per my doctor but something lately is weird with my back. I can not fully stretch so I do not get it. Should I be doing more warm ups before we head out for a hike?

FreeWilly

I think you only need to stretch if you are doing a lot of violent and fast movements with your muscles. Whether you're a believer or not it can help you perform better and prevent injury. For hiking I wouldn't worry about it.

Grandpa

I would just take care to not start hiking at full throttle. Take care to be more casual at the beginning before getting up to normal speed. Living in the mountains, there is nothing worse than a steep climb right from the trailhead. I have learned to go slow and easy the first 15 minutes.

IndianaHiker

I know that I have stopped stretching before tennis and basketball with no problems. In fact a physical therapist and a trainer have both told me that stretches just before physical activities that are done in the traditional way are more harmful then helpful. Both said to avoid full stretches and holding them. Both say that if you are wanting to add flexibility the way to do it is slow stretching and it must be done on a regular basis for it to be effective. Their was never any medical proof that stretching prevented pulls or strains.

In fact what Grandpa suggest is what they both recommended. Just do motion at slower speeds to increase blood flow to the muscles.

Lamebeaver

If you suddenly notice something unusal with your back GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR!

Ignoring back issues can lead to more serious problems down the road.

oldsarge

I don't agree with streching prior to physical acctivity either, unless it's a special set of streches to help maitain spinal alignment for the lower back, prescribed by a doctor or chiropractor. If at all, I may do a little streching after a work out to help relax the muscle group. The only time I have seen streching be really effective is when it's done continualy like IndianHiker stated. Martial artist have done this for attaining high kicks and fleability.

Michael

To warm up for hiking, I go a little slower than usual. A few minutes of light walking usually has me warmed up and read to go. Then I just pick up my pace to get my heart pumping.

I save all stretches until after I'm done. I generally stretch out a bit while I'm still warm, then stretch out some more an hour or two after I'm done. The second time is slower but more thorough.

SpencerT

Well I use to box, and I can tell you right now that punching violently without warming up will lead injury or poor performance quite often. Even in tennis, unless your just casually playing, then maybe now, but if you are competing, you need to warm up. The movements are just to fast for cold muscles.

IndianaHiker

Well my tennis is one a competitive level and I am 43 with no injuries from not warming up. I remember that playing in high school the coaches then and some still are very serious about warm ups. It has just been in the last 5 to 8 years that a lot of the medical community has changed their stance on this. I know when I used to play football I never really did any of the stretching then just went through the motions as I never noticed any benefit from it back in high school sports.

ponderosa

I think that stretching is different from warming up. I don't believe there is any real evidence that supports stretching cold muscles to prevent injuries. Lower intensity movements to increase blood flow to muscles before going full steam is an effective warm up. Just do whatever it is you're doing, starting at a low itensity for a few minutes.

SpencerT

Alright you win. :) Personally I'd never never go into competition without proper warm up. When I was boxing, if I didn't go to the ring already sweating and warmed up, it would've been a mistake. My trainer wouldn't have let that happen anyways. You can't risk being tight in something so dangerous.

rockytibby

I'm a runner and I have to agree with SpencerT, warming up and stretching is definitly a plus. Before I run I do slow stretches on my quads, hamstrings,and calves.Then I do a 10 min. warm up before I run. If I dont my speed drops and I have a harder time making my distance. Hiking is another story, you should not have to stretch or warmup before hiking, perhaps afterwards.

Grandpa

Earlier I made my case for no stretches and starting slower to build up blood flow before hiking. But, now the bowling season is in full swing and tonight I failed to do my stretches before warming up. Talk about a hippo on a skate board. Lucky I didn't strain every muscle in my tired old body. Stretches are a must for this old man before trying to heave a bowling ball. So I guess my new argument is each activity has its own demands for preparation.

IndianaHiker

Well as the old saying goes. "Hike your own hike" or in this case to each their own pregame ritual. Anything dealing with the human body always has some grey areas and opinions on anything related to health fitness and medical stuff changes often and fast. I find that I don't see a difference when I stretch before or just warm up slowly. However may not be the same for everyone.

DylanT

If you have a back issue - see a doctor. I disagree with advice on not stretching but you should not do stretches cold. Do a light walk first then stretch. Then more light walks then more stretch. You should also stretch when you finish the hie to warm down.

shane123

Warm up is good before we start any kind of journey, it may be adventure journey or trekking. But yeah it does not have to do anything with your back pain. And do not do much warm or stretch more because it might harm you more.

EddieK47

Old Yankee
You say you exercise daily, does this include a gym with weights?If so you may want to look at your routine and posture.But yes a doctors visit is not a bad idea.

ejdixon

I keep up on the exercise daily (even on the weekends) and I am in generally good health per my doctor but something lately is weird with my back. I can not fully stretch so I do not get it. Should I be doing more warm ups before we head out for a hike?
If that just happened recently, you better get that checked. Being in good health not necessarily means that you did not suffer any injury in your back. Had that problem a few months back, and it turned out that my back got strained from all the gear that I carry (not to mention the hell of stress I'm getting from work). A few sessions with a PT did the trick for me.