Waterfalls

BGreen

I have a photographer friend who wants to go hiking this spring and summer to take pictures of waterfalls. Where are some of the best ones for pictures located that you know of? I'm talking in the United States.

rayne

Here in Western North Carolina, we have some beautiful falls. Not big ones but beautiful. Linville Falls comes to mind and some on the parkway trails. If you like to hike and take pictures at the same time, then the parkway trails are for you.

Grandpa

Eastern Idaho and "Cascade corner" in Yellowstone. Upper and Lower Mesa Falls, Dununda Falls, Colonade Falls, Iris, Union, Cave, Bechler, the list goes on and on.

firedancer

There are probably waterfalls in every state - would probably help if you narrow your field a bit! Yellowstone does have some good ones, as does Colorado. Yosemite is known for its waterfalls and the Pacific Northwest is scenic, too.

wvbreamfisherman

Pretty much anything in Yosemite.
Some of my favorites are Blackwater Falls in WV, Hills Creek Falls in WV.

One at Old Man's Cave in Ohio, which I can't recall the name of.

Tahquamenon Falls In the UP of Michigan.

The falls of the Grand Cascapedia in Quebec are pretty cool. You have to climb a ladder down into the Gorge to get a close view.

Refrigerator

I have a photographer friend who wants to go hiking this spring and summer to take pictures of waterfalls. Where are some of the best ones for pictures located that you know of? I'm talking in the United States.
Sipsey Wilderness has many water falls. Of all the States I have backpacked, Sipsey in Alabama was very impresive.

Sipsey

switchback

Western North Carolina is amazing! The areas around Brevard, Highlands, Saphire, Cashiers, Panthertown Valley, Dupont State Forest, Gorges State Park are just a waterfall lovers dream come true. These waterfalls are all rain dependent so make sure you go during a wet spell. As far as photographing them, early in the mornings or just before sunset are prime times of the day due to the even lighting. Overcast or foggy days are also pretty incredible. Use a DSLR camera mounted on a tripod with a slow shutter speed to "blend" the water. If you are having problems getting a slow enough shutter speed, even at a low ISO setting, you can screw on a circular polarizer or a neutral density filter to cut down some of the light.

mariaandrea

Western Washington has a few decent ones in the Cascade Mountains. Snoqualmie Falls is less than an hour from Seattle so it's a huge tourist draw. I like Wallace Falls, with a long hike along a river along a well maintained trail (lots of elevation gain) and a lower falls and an upper falls. Here's a pic of the lower falls. It's not as spectacular as other places, but in context, the setting in the woods in the mountains is pretty awesome.

iArvee

The only falls I've been to was the Niagara Falls. Breathtaking view. (though seems a bit overrated?) By the looks of the Shoshone falls, it's a lot better than Niagara.

Grandpa

Upper Mesa Falls on the Henry's Fork, Eastern Idaho

[/IMG]

Lower Calf Creek Falls, Escalante, Utah

[/IMG]

Last edited:

shaun

The Multnomah Falls, Columbia River Gorge, Oregon - is the most beautiful waterfall I have seen in this country. I would recommend seeing the Multnomah Falls if you have the opportunity.

Hikenhunter

Pennsylvania has quite a few though not the size of many found out west. Bushkill falls is a series of 8 waterfalls on the Bushkill creek headwaters as it flows to the Deleware river. Dingmans creek in Pike county has several impressive falls. Ricketts Glen State Park has 24 water falls rangining in height from 9 feet to 94 feet. Although I've never visited them I know there are several waterfalls in Western Pa. One that comes to mind is Buttermilk Falls. Hope this helps you.

ppine

Forester
Any place with dissected mountainous topography and high rainfall. Glaciated valleys have some of the most dramatic waterfalls and hanging valleys. I like the western Cascades. Snoqualmie Falls is one of my favorites. The falls in Yellowstone are also inspiring.

Cupcake77

Gooseberry Falls State Park in Northern Minnesota has several gorgeous waterfalls over a 10 mile or so area. Not only will you get some awesome photos, but a nice day hike too.

uday

The pictures are breathtakingly beautiful. I hope to see one for real someday. It must be thrilling and exciting! I'm sure those waterfalls have different stories to be told. They look really mysterious though.