Welcome to the unemployment line...

Greatoutdoors

My husband was officially relieved of his job on Wednesday this week, all because one employee claimed he said something he never said. In the end it was his word against their's, but in the end the company decided "continuing his employment would not be in their best interest". I don't even know what else to say I think we are both still kind of in shock.

Grandpa

So sorry for the inconvenience Great but it sounds like it might be in your husbands best interest to move on as well. Good luck with the new job.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

That's quite a low blow.

Why don't you tell us a little about your husband's company. In fact...if he KNOWS he'll be gone...why not post it on facebook, etc., too?

Creeps deserve the publicity...!! And...who knows...another job offer might come out of it. (Don't get mad...get even...!!).

love2hike

Greatoutdoors - It's a shame that your husband's company took someone else's word over his. Hopefully he can find another job with a better company but in the meantime, are unemployment benefits available for him?

CozInCowtown

Hi...

That's quite a low blow.

Why don't you tell us a little about your husband's company. In fact...if he KNOWS he'll be gone...why not post it on facebook, etc., too?

Creeps deserve the publicity...!! And...who knows...another job offer might come out of it. (Don't get mad...get even...!!).
The only problem with that is if a potiential employer looks at his FB page, it would probably prevent me from hiring somebody.......just saying.

Judy Ann

In this economy it can be additionally scary to be unemployed, but buckle down and take it day by day. Usually something good comes out of divirsity if we look at things from a different perspective. I wish you all the best in the next few weeks. Please seek out community resources if you are in need. I am sorry that you, your husband and your family are going through this experience. Best wishes and good luck.

harmony

I'm sorry for your difficult situation. It is unnerving to be without a job. It certainly wouldn't hurt to apply for benefits. Even if he is denied, he won't know until he applies.

Good luck with the job search.

mariaandrea

Sorry to hear that. I know it's a shock, but give it a little time and you may even come to think of it as an opportunity.

I lost my job a couple weeks before Christmas in 2008 - single mom, 2 kids, huge blow. I gave myself a vacation to the end of the year and as I job hunted along with millions of other people with no success, I decided to completely switch gears and reinvent my life. I'd always done writing for part-time income but decided to go all out and do it full time and be my own boss. I gave up accounting and turned myself into a writer. Over 3 years later I can say it was the hardest and best decision I ever made.

ppine

Forester
I am sorry for your loss. It happened to me once after a company wide retreat. They asked for ways to improve the company. I gave them a few and came back to work to a you're fired letter. I instantly became an independent consultant. Then two years later I got a job offer that was nearly twice the pay of the previous company.

My parents told me " You don't want to work for a company that would treat you that way."

Pathfinder1

mariaandrea;

Sorry to hear that. I know it's a shock, but give it a little time and you may even come to think of it as an opportunity.

I lost my job a couple weeks before Christmas in 2008 - single mom, 2 kids, huge blow. I gave myself a vacation to the end of the year and as I job hunted along with millions of other people with no success, I decided to completely switch gears and reinvent my life. I'd always done writing for part-time income but decided to go all out and do it full time and be my own boss. I gave up accounting and turned myself into a writer. Over 3 years later I can say it was the hardest and best decision I ever made.

Hi..

Great post...!! And I know exactly what you mean.

Shortening the story immensely...I reviewed my skills...and decided to become something even I had never heard of at the time...a Home Inspector. I became very successful as a self employed Home inspector, and retired after eighteen years.

Greatoutdoors

Thank-you all for the kind and encouraging words! It is scary because we do have two small kids, and no savings to speak of other than what's in his 401k. The company said that they would not contest unemployment benefits and we did mange to get that in writing from them. Right now we are taking it day by day, and Grandpa we are going to go camping for a few days with the kids! My hubby is really considering going back to school, and if he does it will be in a completely different field. :)

Last edited:

wvbreamfisherman

I quit a job in a company that was going down the tubes slowly. With a partner, I started a small chemical manufacturing company. My wife had a decent job at the time, but she got RIFfed a couple years later.

It has been a struggle several times, times, but I have really enjoyed being my own boss!

I hope you can improve your situation Greatoutdoors!

Lorax

Sorry to hear this. Let's hope he can find something else where issues are resolved a little more fairly.

Hikenhunter

My wife lost her job of 38 years last January. The plant she worked at sent some of the work done there to other plants they own in the midwest and some of the work went to plants in China. She qualified for unemployment and because some of the work went out of the country she also qualified for schooling benefits so she is currently going to school and training to enter an entirely different career. It is tough going sometimes but we make the best of it that we can. My point is that it is scary and things might be hard on your family for awhile but there are lots of things your husband and you can do to get back on track. Now is the time to sit down, list all the possibilities and then go for it. I wish you and yours all the best.

Greatoutdoors

We are hoping that he will qualify for unemployment and if he does he will probably go back to school as well. Today was the first time I really got scared...we had to go to the grocery store for a couple of things, and we know that the money we have right now is it until we get the 401k funds. Absolutely everything is so ridiculously expensive! I got out of there for $38 bucks, but we debated over nearly every item except for diapers and coffee. I consider those two things extremely necessary! ;)

CozInCowtown

If the situation is that dire then school is out of the question IMO, get his butt back to work asap. Go to school at night if he wants but lets get some $$$ rolling in and bills paid first.
I don't care if y'all go without but if there are babys in diapers, they get top priority!!
Coz

Greatoutdoors

Well the main problem here is that there aren't any jobs, and yes we did even try McDonald's. He used to be a painter years ago and thankfully we still have most of the equipment. He's managed to line up about a month's worth of work so far. Unfortunately, those jobs don't start till next week (which is actually a good thing because they are outside jobs and it's raining cats & dogs right now). That leaves us with this week to hopefully get unemployment and 401 k straightened out, and get a much larger than originally planned garden in the ground. In the meantime, I am trying to double my work load from home so I know that the mortgage is covered. The school idea is so that hopefully he could find something in the area long term. No worries...the kids will never go without a meal or diapers no matter what we have to do to provide it. :) We also have family nearby if things get really dire.

love2hike

Greatoutdoors - I was reading earlier that you said the company won't contest his unemployment benefits, so congratulations on that. Also, I think it would be a great idea for him to go back to school, especially if you can make it work financially. I really don't think there are many opportunities left for people these days if they don't have a college education. Lastly, let me commend you on your determination to provide for your kids "no matter what"... It's great to see it when a parent actually has their priorities straight!!