What age to teach survival?

CBatch

I'm curious to know what age parents are teaching their kids survival? Is there a class somewhere that you can go to together? I think it would be a fun way to learn.

lbean

You could check out your local state park, national forest or metro park. There are also tons and tons of private agencies who do this sort of thing. I have been teaching my kids little by little every since they can walk. My kids both know how to use a compass and have for a good while now.

woodsman

Try any scout group, that's basically the main idea behind them to teach children skills to handle themselves properly in the wild, plus he/she'll make a bunch of new friends.

faye

The kids can learn the tactics of survival through boy scout/girl scout training. Some schools offer extracurricular activities like this. I was a girl scout during my Elementary days and the experience at the campus ground was similar to camping in the woods.

Thumper

Start teaching as soon as they can walk. It's vital they start to learn to leave animals alone and even a toddler can learn this-even if they don't practice it. Children learn more from us at an early age than we think they do.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Realistically, survival training begins the minute the little rascals make their appearance.

I am also a firm believer in getting kids into scouting right from Beavers on up. My wife and I were leaders (Gilwellians) and once the kids hit cubs they are learning some very valuable outdoor skills. It gets even better when they move up into actual Scout level and beyond. Studies also indicate that kids who come up through the scouting movement are happier and more successful in adult life.

Even as adults my boys are always eager to learn new survival and wilderness skills, so the training never really ends. It's like the old expression ... give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

outdoorlover001

I fully agree with everything said here. I have taught my kids what I learned in the military. They both were in girl scouts, but this was not productive. Buy them books on the subject, give them hands on experience when your in the outdoor with them, set up challanges to give them confidence in the woods. There is so much more, have fun and learn with them, I'm still learning after all the years I've been doing this.

oldsarge

Survival training is all about confidence building. Having the ability to stay calm, think straight and possess the skills in order to overcome the situation. Children pick this up quickly and find it fun.

IndianaHiker

Survival training is all about confidence building. Having the ability to stay calm, think straight and possess the skills in order to overcome the situation. Children pick this up quickly and find it fun.
Well put Old Sarge. Most important thing when all falls apart is to keep a positive attitude and keep your wits. As others have said Stupidity kills.

Barney

The sooner the better if you ask me. There are more than a few courses for adults but for kids it is best to join scouts where they can learn the basics.

Rider One

When they are old enough to talk and understand which means very young. It is never not a good time to start making sure the kiddies know how to take care of themselves and others.

Refrigerator

I agree with Rider One. Get them connected with the outdoors early on. Teaching your children will fill both you and your children with life learning skills.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I started teaching my daughter to survive when she was four. That was twenty years ago. Today she is tougher in some ways than I am. And I am one of the meanest sonsofbitches on this planet.

Betty

When we've been camping together as a family, we've made it a point to have "what if" discussions around the campfire regularly. I want them thinking about situations and possible consequences as a starter.

striker

I'd say go spartan and let them out in to the wilds for three days to teach them some survival skills, but I'll probably get sued for that statement so let's just say I was kidding. Sign him up for the scouts he should be able to pick up the basics there.

Chippin

Hmm, this is a good question. I think it's good to have them connect to wildlife at an early age, as in bringing them outdoors and letting them experience the wilderness, but if you're talking about how to actually survive, I would lean towards 10-15. Any earlier and I don't think the child will understand exactly why it's important to learn survival. Plus, starting at 10, kids seems to want more responsibilities, at least the ones I know.