What ANIMALS have you seen in the wild?

Cassie W

I've always been interested and wanted to see some cool wild animals......not like a rabbit, raccoon, chipmunk, blue gill...........I'm talking about cool animals: bears, mtn lions, bobcats, diff species of snakes, sharks.....basically animals that are major predators.

For me, I haven't seen too much:

Coyotes
Tiger Shark
copper head snake
alligators
gar (the fish)
lots of deer

then I saw a nest of sea turtles hatch and start walking towards and into the ocean.........pretty cool thing to see in person.

that's about all ive seen, but I really want to travel to remote places and see these predator animals.

What have YOU seen in the WILD?

kernow

I have seen fox, badger, deer, lots of hedgehogs, dartmoor ponies and various other small animals,

Jane

We were out camping at Amicalola Falls in Georgia one year; and had a surprise visitor. One evening, we looked up and a big black bear was wandering around within eye shot of our camp. Thankfully, he wasn't too interested in picking up some extra lunch. Although, at the time we didn't know that.

We kept talking and told the kids to back away slowly toward the trees and didn't approach him. He eventually just wandered off. Needless to say, we were anxious to let the ranger know what had transpired. He said not to worry, that the bear had never approached anyone and just seemed to keep watch.

atula

I have seen,
Asiatic Lions
Cheetah
Deers
Wild boars
fox
Vutures
crocodiles
and many more herbivores
all in a trip to the Gir National Park in Gujarat India which is the only place in the world where you can find asiatic lions.

katharina

I've seen just the more "basic" animals... never anything so "exciting" as a bear. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Some of the more unusual things (for my area or the area where I was at the time) would include fox, dolphins during an ocean trip, and alligators. And I've seen flamingos which are beautiful but not really in "the wild"... just in their natural habitat and not in captivity. Hmmm.... I guess that *is* the wild :tinysmile_fatgrin_t but I meant not while camping.

greengrass

I've seen the following literally in my backyard:

-skunk family, including 3 little baby skunks
-deer
-various owls
-opossum
-fox
-turkey
-watched a box turtle lay eggs in a hole outside my back door (she was like in a trance because she did not care that I was standing there taking pictures!)
-snapping turtle (boy, those things are mean!)

I know there's more but I'm forgetting right now. And my list for what I've seen in other places outside of my back yard is great too. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

jason

fear no beer
I've seen the basics like dear, rabbits and other common creatures. I've also seen gators, a coral snake (at least I think it was, I cannot remember the color differences between them and King snakes and didn't want to get close enough to check), a water moccasin and I think thats about it. Oh, some basic every day snakes, like the black racers and garden snakes. Turtles of all sorts.

There was one day I was fishing in shallow water. I could have sworn I saw a cougar. It was out of the corner of my eye and it looked like a big brown cat. I could be wrong and it could have been a dog or something else. I know cougars are really rare down here, so I kind of doubt it was one.

katharina

I know cougars are really rare down here, so I kind of doubt it was one.
There was supposed to be cougar roaming near where we used to live... I never saw it but certainly didn't want to! I was worried for the cats and dogs of the neighborhood at the time, though.

I'm glad I don't live where I can hear coyotes. That would totally creep me out, I'm sure.

Barney

I saw a wild boar, strolling around with his family. It was a very severe winter that year and they came down from the mountain to search for food.

Taggart

I've seen moose, deer, foxes, raccoons (even in the city), various birds like cranes and hawks and I think the largest fish I've seen that weren't caught have been some kind of carp.

I used to drive a lot in areas where you'd really have to watch out for moose and deer. I've heard that a moose has been documented as derailing a train, during mating season.

Has anybody else heard anecdotes like that?

HereToday

Taggart, they do say that moose really lose their minds during mating season, but a train???!!!LOL
There are supposed to be quite a few bears around, but I've never seen one. When I go blackberry picking and something large seems to be rummaging around in my direction I get out fast. My husband has seen a black bear mama and two of her cubs sliding down a tree.
Other animals we've seen in the wild are raccoons; not sure how wild they were, they'd come up the stairs and rattle the door screen because they knew my Hubbins is a very soft touch.
Deers, nutria, coyote, an eagle, osprey, killer whales, seals, sea lions, and a small whale that swam up into our estuary. I think that's it. No, I forgot bats.

kernow

I used to drive a lot in areas where you'd really have to watch out for moose and deer. I've heard that a moose has been documented as derailing a train, during mating season.
The railway companies in UK come up with some surprising excuses for delayed trains, but a train being derailed by a moose has to be the most original reason for delay.