What are you doing about mosquitoes?

Ilovelife

I can already tell this year is going to be a really bad year for humans as far as mosquitoes goes. What is everyone using to keep them away from you and your home or camp site?

rockin

Bug spray and campfires ~ You can't keep them all away but smoke tends to keep them away from the campsite. We keep the fire going all day and night. I also make sure that I have OFF with me when camping.

sticks

Señor Member
Actually flies are the worst so far...The part of town where I live skeeters haven't been a problem. Various biting flies are a different story...

Grandpa

Not really a problem at home. I keep all wet areas drained out so they don't have a breeding area. Summer hikes are planned around the mosquito swarm seasons as well.

oldsarge

Bug spray and a bigger cigar! On the weekends I take my dogs out for a nice 3.5 mile walk around the lake in the local forest preserve. The skeeters can get rough in places. Once I light up a nice Churchill I'm good to go.

Last edited:

perchbutt

perchbutt
Just like that, keep water drained off and the brush cut back around the yard. Away from the yard: hs hunting soap- which I just always use, no junk food or sugared drinks, woodsmoke, activity; which in combination, works pretty good for me. The odd time, if they get unbearable, some white mountain repellant or if I'm out, vinegar will help, too.

I have friends who are bug magnets, attracting swarms and growing welts the size of half dollars. They're elderly, so when they come on their annual visit, the yard gets sprayed w/ a pyrethrin and a stock of DEET is kept on hand for them.

Camoguy

I'm not much of a mosquito magnet. My wife, however, has to use bug spray and usually has to reapply several times during the day. I think my old hide is too tough for the skeeters to pierce.

ChadTower

I don't do anything. Mosquitos are a fact of life where I grew up. There are a lot fewer where I live now. The people who grew up here complain after the first bite but I don't even notice them

Unless they get in my eyes. I hate that.

BUUZBEE

Tent Camper :)
I'm a magnet :( fortunatly at the house, we dont have an issue, but at the lake, thats another story! we have the fire going... and i burn the candles around the campsite.
I've seen commercials for the tiki torch liquid to have a repelant in it... i wonder if that works, could be good for the yard?

oldmangunner

I use tiki torches for the yard. I find that you need quite a few. We are having both a fly and a mosquito problem. It is so wet here that both have already gotten out of control.

Hyde

We found bug spray on sale at Sam's Club and stocked up on it. I am glad we did that because we have already gone through an entire bottle and a half and summer still has a way to go.

BirdBrain

I hear you, OldManGunner. We have had more mosquitoes this year than we have ever had because of the rains. It seems you no sooner get one puddle dried up, than the rains come again and fill it up. We have never had a drainage problem but this year we do.