What are you packing?

outwest

I know many campers who will often bring some type of defense with them when going out into the woods. Is there anything besides a knife or a small gun that you might take?

IndianaHiker

Just a small knife. Since I use a tarp and hammock often need to cut 550 card. Not really for defense since it is only a 2 inch blade.

wvbreamfisherman

Hardly ever feel the need for a firearm unless I'm hunting.

If I thought I might get a shot at a rabbit or squirrel in season when I was hiking , I might carry a .357/.38 loaded with shotshells. It would be good for snakes too, although I would always try avoiding a poisonous snake.

Pathfinder1

I usually don't trek very far,
when all around me gun toters are.

Hi...

Other than a big-bore firearm, you should consider bear spray if you're going to be in black/grizz bear country. Be sure it's EPA registered, too. And...who knows what else you might need it for...!!

catspa

I agree with Brian - the knife is a tool, the pistol is the weapon.

Outdoor enthusiasts may now carry firearms in national parks in compliance with state law, and it hasn't resulted in the "wild west" scenarios that some predicted. But then again, it's a virtual certainty that some were carrying before that.

Parker

Michael

I bring my eyes and my brain. I look for danger and then avoid it. I have them on me anyhow, and it works in cities and out in nature.

EddieK47

Old Yankee
I carry a 38 SW revolver.You may never need one but if you do you won't have time to go back and get it!Only needed mine once and was sure glad I had it.No wild west here.the gun is small and concealed(have permit for that)so as not to make others nervous.

Grandpa

When I take my dog or small grandkids on a backpack, I carry. Not for defense against bears but wolves. Never worried much about bears or big cats but the wolves are a whole different matter.

beemerphill

When I'm in the "urban jungle", it's a Baby Glock. When in the outdoors, it's a 3" SP101.
Neither one has been used in anger, and neither has ever broken any laws. I do have a license to carry concealed, and have had proper firearms training. This is one of those areas where it should be up to the individual, and the responsibility of the individual.
YMMV

SweetiePie

I have never taken any kind of weapon out into the woods camping with me. I do take a knife for utility and cooking reasons but I would hope that I never had to use it to defend myself.

Newanderthal

Cold Steel SRK. heavy duty, fairly light, and chops like a hatchet. mostly useful when hammering in tent stakes or cutting a sapling to use as a crutch when rolling an ankle. If someone or something got shanked with it, it wouldn't be happy.

Lucy

The only time we carry a firearm with us is if we are planning to do some target practice out in the back country. Otherwise, my big dog is my secret weapon.

Tubby

I carry, but I carry conceled and I'm licensed. I do worry about snakes. I would try my best to go around but it would be awfully handy if you almost stepped on a big mama rattler, which I have done. It's the only time I've killed a snake rather than go around. She was waiting on the other side of a fence I had almost put a foot over and I was straddled over a barbed wire fence with no way to move.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I guess that goes to show you that if you're in venemous snake country, you never step over anything. You go around. Although in tubby's case, a fence is pretty hard to walk around unless you've got all day.

Pathfinder1

I usually don't trek very far,
when all around me black bears are.

Hi...

I no longer carry a firearm when camping. I do carry a pocket knife and a multi-tool. In addition, I carry a sheath knife and a machette, both for general camping use, when necessary.

Although some of those could be considered personal protection weapons, I don't think any of them would be any good to fend off large bears, for example.

Of course, I could always pretend I was Ben Lilly (Google him, and you'll see what I mean)...!!

abmac

I always make sure I have packed my lighting in several choices so I'm prepared. I have gas as well as battery and have found it a good thing to keep the variety on hand.