What is a good hiking compass to buy?

steve

I need to purchase a compass for hiking and I want it to be affordable, but not something that will fall apart.

Bushman

Personally I like using lensatic compasses. They are fairly accurate, durable and not too expensive. A low end one might cost you about $10 or you could go to a military supply store and get a military lensatic compass for about $30.

The military compasses are a little heavier and obviously more durable.

I'm not sure what you consider expensive and yes you can find compasses for a lot less than $10, but they usually aren't very durable.

jason

fear no beer
Look for a large, liquid-filled capsule for the needle, it will settle quickly. Get the kind with a plastic backing plate. A bright color is always smart, to avoid leaving it behind. I have heard good things about the Silva Explorer. It is roughly $20. Not sure if that fits your budget.

oldsarge

I've used Silva and Sunnto compasses throughout the years, but several years back I found the quality of the Silvas was going down hill. I have since been using Brunton compasses of several different designs, 8099, 8096 and 54LU. Brunton has a unique circle in circle system for obtaining you azimuth. It's worth looking into. The higher end line of the Bruntons , the 8099 series, even tells you your back azimuth at a glance. Good quality at a great price! You don't have to go overboard on the price to get a great compass. Remember, you get what you pay for. Looking for an inexpensive item might get you in trouble down the road if it starts to act erratically. Not knowing your level of experience with compass and map work, be aware that unless you maintain your level of proficiency of terrain association and use good quality maps, a compass that starts to stick or give you inaccurate readings can really set you off into orbit somewhere. Map skills are a must! Just my 2 cents...hope you find something good and have fun!

Barney

Sunnto, Brunton, and Silva brands are the answer when compasses are in question. You want to buy either Suunto A-10, A-20, A-30, A-40 or Brunton Classic 9020G compass. Wide baseplate that these compasses have is excellent for using maps.