What is it about a fire?

Joe S.

What is it about a fire? I heat my home with wood, and love to sit and watch the fire. In the summer I build a campfire most evenings. It must be some kind of primitive instinct or something.

Lamebeaver

It reaches back into our primeval memory and links us to our ancestors, who sat before a small fire staring into the embers since time untold.

Last edited:

hikeorbike

We like glowing, flickering things. There is just something very peaceful about a calming, natural light. Plus many memories can be had around a fire, so being near one is sure to trigger good feelings.

oldsarge

Just the thought of a cool night, warm fire, some single malt Scotch and a cigar, it make me sleepy just thinking about it Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

Grandpa

Some of my fondest memories are getting a small fire going under a rock overhang, high in the mountains after getting soaking wet hunting. Sitting around the fire with the my son or nephews or good friends, sharing the last candy bar, makes you realize how little it really takes to be happy.

Fire, when treated with respect, has been a real friend to mankind.

Judy Ann

It gets pretty hot here in the South and fires aren't always desirable, but a led candle or two flickering away inside the tent with the small fan blowing can be pleasant too. I really love burning pine cones one by one at the end on top of the coals. The things one will do when out alone in the woods!

ponderosa

There is something extra cozy about a home heated with wood fire. The heat penetrates and reaches all the corners, and is a lovely, steady warmth. I'm always cozy with the fire burning. When we use the furnace, I can crank that thing up to 78 degrees and still feel chilly. I've never been in any home with any other kind of heat that feels as cozy as a home with a good wood stove.

TroyS

It's probably the primeval instincts and the low glow of the dancing flames. That plus the smell of the wood.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Yeah, I heat my house with wood and I spread the potash around because it's good for the soil. I love a nice campfire and sitting on a log with a snifter of brandy, telling my lies to my buddies.

I even get choked up over a thermite grenade.

Last edited:

Barney

I see that we understand each other and share this passion. I love the feel of fire, especially at night. There is something soothing in that site.

ppine

Forester
We are still programmed for the Pleistocene. That is why many men still hunt and women like to gather (shop).

uday

Can you live without heat? If you're cold, build a fire. If you want a cooked food, you need fire. But I admit that I got hooked on staring at the flames with nothing on my mind. I'm amazed at how it was made of.

ppine

Forester
I believe that evolution is slow and that we are still programmed for the Pleistocene. Fire provides heat, security, light, a gathering place, and a way to cook raw meat. It is boogey man repellant and something beautiful to watch all at the same time. It is a connection to the recent and distant past.

Grandpa

I seldom build a fire when I backpack alone, even when there is a fire pit all ready there and lots of wood. The one exception is when I am not tired and get an evening fire going to stay up a little later. I just hate waking at 4 am, all slept out. Tank thinks I'm crazy when I get up that early and start fussing around. He'd rather sleep another couple of hours.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

dinosaur

troublemaker
I believe that evolution is slow and that we are still programmed for the Pleistocene. Fire provides heat, security, light, a gathering place, and a way to cook raw meat.
Yeah. I don't need to say much around a fire. I just grunt and sometimes bay at the moon. If I've had a few beers I might even let go with a primal scream.

Cory

Oregon!
i know what you mean... when life gets stressful i go out on a nice evening and make a little fire in the pit, enjoy a cigar, pet the dog and sometimes have a few friends over.