What is the best type of dog to go hiking with?

Tim

I have a boxer. He is in great shape, but the fact that he has a punched in nose makes me think he might not be able to hike as well as I would like.

Since I would love a breed to go hiking with on moderate to difficult trails, can anyone tell me a good, friendly breed to go with?

Thank you so much!

jason

fear no beer
Thats a tough one. I think it would depend on what dog bread you prefer. A shepherd or a lab are good all around dogs. Herding dogs would be another good choice.

HereToday

I think it really depends on the human, rather than the dog. My Bro loves trekking and dogs, and he has gone with every one of the dogs he, or other members of our family, owns.
He's trekked with a standard and miniature Schnauzers (the mini with arthritis, but still wanted to go with him), golden lab, little papillion mix "rat dog" (that gave her life to save Bro from dying in a fire), cockapoos, St Bernard mix, and many dogs whose pedigree was kind of unknown. If your dog loves and trusts you, they will go up the side of a cliff with you.

humorris

I think a german shepard dog, or alsation would be good dog to go trekking with, if you can keep up.

deltic

I think a german shepard dog, or alsation would be good dog to go trekking with, if you can keep up.
I don't think it really matters what breed you choose, but it is important that the dog is obedient.

Barney

I love Alaskan Malamutes very much. I grew up with one. Her name was Ula. She could climb and walk for hours without rest. We used to go everywhere together.

2coastcamper

I have two dogs, and the border collie is by far the better of-leash dog of the two. It also helps that its a she (cuts down on the need to stop every three seconds to spread pee around).

backpacking america

i took my 2 labs (indy-english lab, jake-american lab) on a 3 day camping last weekend and they where great. i adopted these these 2. i dont think they had ever been trained. anyway. i was right on a lake in batsto. they went swimming when they wanted. stayed with me when i was hiking. the first night i tied them up, but the last 2 night i didnt. i would wake offen, and they would still be there outside my bivy tent. i would go with a lab over any dog. they are great dogs.

atula

I love the labradors because they are in genral very intelligent and understand thing fast....you can get a pup and start training him to general outdoor experiences....he may turn out to be a good and faithful outdoor companion in a little while.

Taggart

Do you think that a dog other than a purebred may be a good choice? I've heard some purebreds have problems with their legs and wondered if hiking would be a challenge for some of them.

I think retrievers, labs or collies would probably be good choices.

deltic

I have two dogs, and the border collie is by far the better of-leash dog of the two. It also helps that its a she (cuts down on the need to stop every three seconds to spread pee around).
I have a border collie too, she is obedient but she has one fault, as a failed sheep dog she has an overwhelming urge to round up any animils or bicycles that she encounters!

wildmonger

Old-not-bold member
I've hiked with Corgi's before. They're funny - they run to the head of the line, turn around, and race to the back of the line. All day long.
The dog was bred to run with humans. Probably why we have dogs. Further north, they haul all the freight, and are in-de-fa-ti-ga-ble. They never stop, and they live for the harness. Take 'em away from serving you, and they'll die.