What is the right age?

Ilovelife

I have a 9 year old who is really interested in rock climbing. He is begging me to let him do it. Do you think that he is to young or is this a good time to start him on an indoor wall?

NaturallyYours

I don't have much experience with rock climbing, but I do know that different climbing activities have different types and degrees of risk. I'd consult with some clubs/recreation centers in your area and see what age groups they recommend for different activities and locations.

KeikoOka

There are some programs at our YMCA that have some rock wall climbing programs that start at 10. It is a very controlled class. Check your local centers out and see what age they start it.

HikingChick

He's at a great age to develop a new hobby while being young enough to respect the rules of safety.

I do recommend finding a rock wall with experienced staff. Are you a seasoned climber? If not, you might enjoy taking a course alongside your son. :)

greengrass

I say let him try it on one of those inside walls that are designed more for fun than expert rock climbers. That will give him an idea of whether he likes it or not.

trader

I would start him off slow indoors for safety reasons. Just tell him something to the effect that he has to learn to crawl before he walks.

wildmonger

Old-not-bold member
Excellent age to start, especially if he wants to do it. So often kids don't want to do anything.
The best way to learn is with a mentor, and if you can't be the mentor, then find one at a nearby spelunking or outdoor club.
Some lifelong aficionados started when they were only 12.