What is your take on used tires?

oldmangunner

What is your take on used tires for your trailer or pop up. Someone near hear suggested I go to the local junk yard who sells tires for trailers and pop ups very cheap. Would you buy tires from there?

ppine

Forester
Since most trailer tires rot off well before they can have the treads wear out, it is a good idea in concept. Some sizes are hard to find. Some tires sit around a long time. Take a good look for any cracks or glazing of the sidewall. Most new trailer tires don't cost that much. It is akward to blow tires on a trip so I mostly buy new and cover them up when parked especially in Nevada with severe clear and high elevation.

I would never put used tires on a horse trailer for instance, meant to haul live animals.

Last edited:

Grandpa

I would but then I worked a couple of winters for the local tire shop so I know what potential problems to look for.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

The above is all good advice.

Remaining tread on the tire, and the tire's age are also factors. Tires have their date of manufacture (in code) on them, so perhaps your neighborhood garage man could give you that info.

Any cracks, checks, fractures, etc. in a tire will indicate a "don't buy".

As for myself, unless I had extremely minimal use for the trailer, I would never buy used, ESPECIALLY from a junk yard. Looking at your local paper's "for sale" items might be a better way to go.

wvbreamfisherman

I've actually had used tires on my pickup before. I always made it a point to inspect them thoroughly before I allowed them to be mounted on my rims. I got a year or so out of them at a time when dollars were really tight and $125/tire vs $35/tire was a big deal.

Tires for my little ulility trailer are pretty cheap, and I generally just get new wheels and tires at the same time.

calanta

I have never used any for autos before but a popup might be okay if they are actually in good condition. A local place near us got busted for selling off old tires at insane prices all of which once the investigation was over were faulty.

BigSky

There are a lot of things I buy used but tires are not one of them. A good tire shop can special order just about any tire you could ever need.

oldmangunner

You all bring up something interesting. I had a tire on my truck go flat. I put air in it and it seems alright. It does have a crack that runs around the tire. Does that mean that the tire has rotted and needs replaced?

ejdixon

There are a lot of things I buy used but tires are not one of them. A good tire shop can special order just about any tire you could ever need.
I'm with BigSky. I don't mind buying and using used stuff, but tires are not going to be one of them. Personally, I wouldn't mind paying more on some brand new tires than risking getting used ones that I've not really inspected that well.

DMan

I wouldn't consider putting used tires on a trailer or anything that I tow. If you had a blow-out it could be very dangerous for both you and other vehicles around you. Used tires will have a certain amount of wear and tear on them but if they've come off a trailer, that may not be apparent.

wvbreamfisherman

Oldmangunner- yeah I'd say your tire has at least begun to dry rot. The sidewall is the thinnest part of the tire and subjected to the most flexing, so I'd say get it at least looked at. You're probably due for a replacement before long.

CozInCowtown

I would have no problem with a set of good used tires.
Why not? They are probably off a wrecked vehicle and would have lasted for the life of the tire on the other vehicle, why would they not be perfectly fine on your trailer?
If the tire is in good working order and not damaged then they will be fine.
I have run used tires on my freight trucks when new replacement was not imediately available. I refused to put a recap on my truck for any reason....ever!!
DC