What part of your gear needs replacing most often?

HikingGuy

I am just curious as to what part of your gear needs replacing most often? I am wondering if it is the same or similar for everyone?

FreshAirLover

Well, I did lose my compass a couple of times, and there was this time my tent got a bit torn by some spiky branches, but I generally don't need to replace my gear very often... I try to be as careful as possible.

Grandpa

I get a new pair of NB trail shoes every spring, because I wear them everywhere. Everything else seems to wear forever. I end up giving older gear to the grandkids just so I have an excuse to get something new.

freedommachine

For the most part my gear seems to last really well. If I tear my tent I just duct tape it up. But pants and knee pads are the only things that get replaced often. Running around on jagged lava flows can be brutal on pants and knee pads doing lava caves. But the actual camping gear like tents,coolers etc. seem to last for years. They only get replaced when I want somthing different. I have three good tents. None of them needed replacment, but now I have three tents.

Betty

This is a good question. For me, the first thing that popped into my head was "footwear" and "gloves". I seem to need some of each every year.

Gus

Tent Camper
I agree with the responses about gear lasting forever. When you take good care of it, it takes good care of you. But... even though they don't "wear out", I do get a new hunting knife each year. Must be a guy-thing, but it's like I'm not ready until I get it, and then can't wait to go to use it.

JollyRogers

Maps! :tinysmile_twink_t2:
New maps for every new place I go. I have several GPS devices, but always take a map when hiking in to wilderness areas. GPS is a quick way to tell you where you are, maps are a good way to see what's around and where you need to go.
Other than that, water filters, and consumables like duct tape, 550 cord, fire starters (cotton/petroleum jelly), batteries, shoes, and clothing.

rockytibby

I would have to agree that nothing actualy wears out. I can say that for some reason I cant seem to hang on to a pair of gloves, must have 50 pair and cant find one. The only other thing is shoes, we gotta keep our feet happy.

dinosaur

troublemaker
There seems to be a concensus here. And it is true. If you buy the right gear, the only things you will regularly replace is the stuff you put on your body.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
Boots and rope, depending on where I'm at during my stays pants need replaced often thanks to rocks, however I am grateful that denim stands up to most rough surfaces.

greentea

Depends on what you consider gear, if boots are an option they get worn out pretty fast, otherwise I'll have to stick with my backpack. Either the bottom wears out so much that it wouldn't be wise to use it, or something happens to the cuffs holding the straps.

Refrigerator

I just sent a Mountain Hardwear Solitude Backpack 4 years old back to the warranty department for repairs and they said they could not repai and give me full credit of 399.00 bucks for the pack, exactly what I paid for it.

First time I have ever had to send gear back for repairs.

Gondor

I replace the gear that is spent easily, like paracord, duct tape, ground cloths, notebooks, water filters, first aid kits... Also, my knives and multi-tools get dull quickly which require often sharpening, if you'd consider that a replacing; dulled blade with a sharpened one.

T

tentrus

For me its the pots and pans. The camper is fine and so are the tents. Most everything else wears well too, but the pots and pans seem to take a beating. I think it's because we do a lot of cooking on the campfire and it ruins the bottoms of the pots and pans.