what to pack

OutdoorsGirl

I always seem like I am trying to bring too much hiking. What should I bring with me and what can wait if I have room? I always make sure I have first aid, multi tool, compass, etc but what else?

nomad

People have different priorities so what you should bring on a camp depends on your priority. As for me, a knife, a splint, and a perfume are the things I never forget when I go camping.

OutdoorsGirl

Perfume? May I ask why you take perfume camping? I find anything scented just attracts more bugs but maybe it's just how the perfume reacts to my skin?

Michael

I bring:

a first aid kit
a Mora knife
a compass
bug spray
a head net
a flashlight (with a change of batteries)
a rain poncho
a sharpening stone
sun block
some duct tape (not a roll, but some rolled around other things)
a compass
a magnesium fire starter
matches
a pocket knife
at least a liter of water
about double the food I expect to use
a small emergency blanket
hand sanitizer

It's way more than I ever need, but I think that's a good thing. I aim to basically add an overnight in the woods to what I expect to happen, just in case.

OutdoorsGirl

I always seem to be taking too much but some things I want with me "just in case" I just think, why bother carrying the extra weight, but at the same time I think, if I leave it behind that will be the time I need it the most.

foxylady

I guess it would depend how long you were going hiking for but my basics are first aid (about double what most people need because I am an extreme klutz), water, bug spray, food, strike anywhere matches, hand sanitizer and a flashlight. It also depends some on the conditions of where you are going and what you might need that you don't necessarily need somewhere else.

Paige

Don't forget an extra pair of socks! LOL I can't stand to hike in sweaty socks after a certain amount of time. I would have to stop and wash some out if I had to. Of course water and purification tablets would be in the mix too.

OutdoorsGirl

I always pack extra socks, I stop halfway and change my socks. I hate hiking in sweaty socks too, I would much rather carry other pairs with me.

Paige

I know it's sort of a habit but I bring something to read and something to work on (knitting) when I go hiking overnight. I have to have something to keep my mind and hands busy. Can we say ADHD?:tinysmile_twink_t2:

nomad

Perfume? May I ask why you take perfume camping? I find anything scented just attracts more bugs but maybe it's just how the perfume reacts to my skin?
I don't like the smell of sweat so I make sure that the clothes I wear are scented. I don't spray it on my body but directly on the clothes.

Wendolyn

The biggest issue is packing what you need, not what you want. And there is a big difference here, too many people (esp. new campers) seem to think you should pack things you really do not need when camping. Go through what you normally pack, look it over to see what you need/want and I bet you cut your packing by at least a third.