What type of backpack

Hannah

Is there a special requirement for a backpack or can I use just my old pack from school? I don't want to invest a lot of money until I know whether I am going to like it or not.

le Metis

The only real requirement is fit....every thing else is personal choice, and advertisment hype. Packs are nothing more than bags....and often times way over priced bags...so, keep what you have, save your money, and just get out and hike as for either a day hike, or even an over nighter you really don't need to carry much...

Last edited:

Reggy

I recommend REI (I don't even live in the US). I believe they are a coop (non-for-profit). The staff don't just sell, they use the gear. I go there anytime I get south of the 49th.

Jobiwan

As Le Metis said fit is the key for comfort. Here are some links you may find interesting.

How to get the correct size

Adjusting the Fit

Different pack types

Just a note I do not work for nor in any way affiliated with REI. I don't even shop there but their site does have lots of great information.
If your still unsure about the fit of your pack, have an experienced sales rep help. Most outfitters hire experienced folk that can make sure your getting what's right for you.

Hannah

Thanks for the info. I have a great backpack I used to use for school, I paid a fortune for it and I have had it over 15 years, so the quality is good, I may try that, it has a few compartments too which makes organization good.

IndianaHiker

Thanks for the info. I have a great backpack I used to use for school, I paid a fortune for it and I have had it over 15 years, so the quality is good, I may try that, it has a few compartments too which makes organization good.
Hanna:
One thing to consider if you want to go out multiple days is a pack that has a good hip belt. If your pack doesn't have that you will be more comfortable even with a cheap back that does. The hip belt allows you to carry the weight on your hips and not on your shoulders. I have actually got a cheap pack that I some times use at Walmart for 60 bucks that is pretty comfortable. The biggest drawback to it is that the zippers are cheaper and the materials it is made out of will not be as durable as my more expensive packs.

With that being said if you are just planning in day hikes for now as it sounded in another post the back that you have sounds like ti will work nicely for you.

Remember one thing that many forget when talking gear. Yes the higher dollar gear is nice and may be more comfortable, but getting out is the most important thing. If you have something and it works use it don't let not having high end gear keep you at home and on the couch.

See you down the trail
Wayne

Origami

Your school book bag may be good for a day on the trail, but shouldn't be over ten to fifteen pounds or your shoulders are gonna pay for it. If you wanna do an overnight trip I suggest finding something with a frame. External frames help you keep an upright posture and are better ventilated for warmer weather. Internal frames keep the load closer to your center of gravity, are usually lighter than Externals and considered by the majority to be more comfortable. I personally like the internals. My suggestion is to see if you can borrow one from a friend or see if there is a place you can rent one. then you can see if you like it without spending to much. When and if you decide to buy get your back measured and fitted by a professional (NO WAL-MART or GANDER MTN).

Hannah

I have an old one with a frame and I took it on a 22km hike and nearly drove it into the woods on more than one occasion. I hate it. My school bag was not cheap, I paid a lot for it and it has a hip belt as well as a chest belt.

Newanderthal

If it's not a frame pack, don't use it for overnight trips. You'll kill your shoulders and back. You can get a decent frame pack for under $100 that will allow you to carry all you need for several days.

High Sierra Explorer 55
$89
3356 cubic inches
High Sierra Explorer 55 Internal Frame Pack, 88680 | Internal Backpacks | Packs | GEAR | items from Campmor.

Kelty Women's Pawnee
$99
2700 cubic inches
Kelty Women's Pawnee Internal Frame Pack, 90287 | Internal Backpacks | Packs | GEAR | items from Campmor.

And from Amazon...

High Sierra Summit 45
$64
Amazon.com: High Sierra Summit 45 Frame Pack: Clothing

Swiss Gear Ibex
$70
3100 cubic inches
Amazon.com: Swiss Gear Ibex Large Top Load Internal Frame Pack: Sports & Outdoors

JanSport Klamath 55
(smaller version of my walkabout pack)
$91
Amazon.com: JanSport Klamath 55 Basecamp Series Backpack: Clothing

JanSport Trail Series Big Bear 6
$80
3600 cubic inches
Amazon.com: JanSport Trail Series Big Bear 63 Backpack: Clothing

Hannah

What is the advantage of the frame packs? I think my husband has an old frame pack too, maybe I will look into that one too.

Refrigerator

Frame packs are very good for flat moderate terrain. Internal frame packs are better for Mountain treks keeping your weight closer to your center of gravity.
Frame packs can haul a load. Many opinions are out there about the subject on packs. Being a backpacker now for more that 30 years I have owned many of almost all starting with the Kelty Tioga Frame pack and Camp trails systems and my last Frame pack was a Kelty 3/4 radial at 10,000 cubic inches with a top frame extender giving me another 2000 cubic inches for gear...way too much for Backpacking these days with the type of gear available now. Jansport makes a good quality frame pack now days. I prefer the Internal frame packs and find them to ride easy for alpine backpacking.
If your having trouble about choosing I might say go to a GOOD outfitter store and check them out. Also REI may be able to rent you frame and internal packs you can decide for yourself.

IndianaHiker

Good point Refrigerator she should try one as many packs as possible. Also the external packs are not dead. They have just not been as popular anymore. They are still some companies making them and with some of the new technologies they are using some even fit the body better than they used to. I don't have a internal frame pack any more put if I was carrying a heavy load would certainly look at getting one. They do a better job of distributing weight thats for sure.

Benny

You certainly want more than just a regular school backpack if you are planning on a long hike, but I do agree that you will want to try out several to see what would be most comfortable for you. You can't always assume by looking at them online - you should go and "feel" them out.

Michael

What is the advantage of the frame packs?
The frame keeps a lot of the weight off of your spine, instead transferring it to your hips. The rigid frame is what allows this, because it supports the weight. Then you have a padded hip belt that carries a lot of the weight. Of course, your shoulders -- and by extension your spine -- do carry some of it, but the frame reduces it quite a lot.

If you're carrying a lot of weight, you don't want it to rest on your spine. It's a bunch of little joints, and carrying weight requires more muscle use, and that results in back pain. By keeping the weight off your back as much as possible, you vastly reduce the amount of back pain from your equipment.

For a day hike, you needn't be concerned with having a frame pack for most conditions. If you're carrying a tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tools to process fire wood, and enough food, water, and extra clothing for an overnight, you might want to look into a frame pack. I take about 20 pounds of equipment for an overnight, and some people take more; I can't imagine how my back would feel after a couple of miles with that on my back without a frame pack.

OpenAir

I still use an army issue 65 litre Bergen. I've tried a number of packs and suffered pain in so many different ways. These are designed to go the distance, and it shows.

If you have friends who hike, you might like to ask if you can borrow theirs for the day. Fill it up and take it out, keep it on as long as you can. It'll save you wasting money on something that doesn't work for you.

Hannah

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to see what I can borrow from the school, they rent out hiking and camping gear to see what fits me best.

Michael

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to see what I can borrow from the school, they rent out hiking and camping gear to see what fits me best.
As others have said, if you opt for your first frame-pack, go to a physical store with experienced professionals. They're a resource that you can use to make sure that you buy a pack that fits your torso length, and they'll show you how to adjust the straps to fit the best. The right equipment worn correctly is key.

hikinboot

I have to agree, I have had the same frame pack for over 10 years. It is an internal frame pack, I personally like them more than the external framed ones.

oldsarge

I really need to upgrade to a better set-up. I have been using my old Army issue ruck for years, even though I don't get out all that much I still am due for something better. Thanks for all the good feedback here!