What type of backpack

Sophia

I use a frame-pack, but I still try not to overload it. It is too easy to cause a back injury when you take on too much. Get a pack that you can easily carry, but don't take on more than you can handle.

Refrigerator

I really need to upgrade to a better set-up. I have been using my old Army issue ruck for years, even though I don't get out all that much I still am due for something better. Thanks for all the good feedback here!
The new packs are way better than the old rucks Oldsarge, It took me several years to finally let my Alice pack retire when I tried a quality internal frame and realized how much more I could haul and the load wad distributed better. Now all I do is glance over to my old Alice Pack and say hey...how things hanging as I have Ms Alice Pack hanging on the wall in my gear room.

HikingGuy

I agree, this was a very informative thread. I think I need to upgrade my pack too, I have an oldie, I think the brand is "world Famous" Do they even make stuff anymore?

IndianaHiker

The new packs are way better than the old rucks Oldsarge, It took me several years to finally let my Alice pack retire when I tried a quality internal frame and realized how much more I could haul and the load wad distributed better. Now all I do is glance over to my old Alice Pack and say hey...how things hanging as I have Ms Alice Pack hanging on the wall in my gear room.
So true after I got a new pack my Army ALICE made it final trek and that was to Good Will donation box. Actually felt guilty about passing that uncomfortable thing to someone else.

Stormypath

I suppose, that if you have nothing, an old uncomfortable one would be a step up. Least would give you something to start with and strive up from.

Hannah

Thanks for all the information on the packs, I am so excited to go out and try some out. I cannot wait to hit the trail regularly, the weather is almost good enough.

Hannah

Thanks, you folks gave me some amazing resources to work with, that and being properly fit for it should make my summer hiking quite lovely.

MoreTime

Nice pack. Watch the positioning of the chest strap though. I find that it causes it to rub my armpits. It's not too tight, just the way I'm built, so I rarely get on with them-hopefully you will.

IndianaHiker

Very nice pack. I think that you will find that tis pack will work well for you for many years. Good company and great products. Actually the pack that you have purchased I like better then than what I am currently using. North Face Terra 65. Yours is lighter and in my opinion better constructed.

Hannah

Thanks, I am quite pleased with it. I am gearing up to take it out for a spin this weekend coming. I can't wait, I am so excited.

Judy Ann

Thanks everyone who gave Hannah guidance on purchasing a backpack. I followed your advice and suggestions and bought one myself. I am amazed at how much weight is transfered to the hips and away from the shoulders and back with the internal frame. Looking forward to my first backpacking trip!

Lamebeaver

My advice on packs is the same as boots. Don't buy based on name brand, buy one that fits well. Comfort trumps brand and features.