What would be the best way to repair a hole in my plastic shelled canoe?

steve

I have been using a 16 foot Coleman plastic shelled canoe for nearly 20 years and discovered today that there is a small hole in the bottom of it. It was caused by dragging the canoe across a parking lot. I wonder if there is some sort of poxy that would work well in repairing the hole. Any ideas?

jason

fear no beer
Most companies sell repair kits you can buy. Most canoe dealers should have one that you can buy.

Newanderthal

Steve, do NOT buy a regular boat repair kit. I own a 17 foot Coleman canoe made in the late 70's. They used polypropelene for their shells and most kits, regardless of what the packaging claims, do not stick to that material for long. You will patch it and it will leak in about a month.

JB Weld makes an epoxy called Waterweld. Most sporting goods stores carry it. It's in a small plastic cylinder. It's about $3. It turned out to be the cheapest way to patch my Coleman canoe and it's the only one that's held, and that includes a professional plastic weld and fiberglass applied at a boat shop. Check Wal-Mart and Academy in the boating section.

Good luck.