What's the appeal?

Betty

I'm just curious what it is about rock climbing that appeals to people. It seems so dangerous to me! Is it the adrenaline rush that goes with taking a risk, or what?

YogiBear

For me it is the adrenaline to a certain extent but there is also the love of nature and exploring. The view from some of the mountains I have climbed has made it well worth it.

dinosaur

troublemaker
A long time ago there was a mountain climber (I can't remember his name.) who was asked just before he started a climb why he wanted to climb that mountain? His reply was one I came to understand as I grew older. He said: "Because it's there.".

Sophia

I am adventurous, but not that adventurous! I will say that I love a good hike, but I don't need to climb a steep mountain.

CatsEye

I am better than I used to be but I still don't do heights very well. I would be horrible as a rock climber. I used to not be able to stand on a perforated platform in the air. I once went up to the top floor of a space needle and I had to sit on the floor next to the elevator until it came back to get us. I was that bad. Now I can ride sky lifts, that's a huge improvement, believe me!

Joe S.

I think it takes a certain breed of cat to dig rock climbing. I tried it once, and discovered that it's not for me. I'm not enough of a risk-taker to really get into it.

oldsarge

Not being a climber, but having climbed in the past. I though it would be fun and also for the challenge. On our free time off from training at Fort Irwin in california, we would free climb up this large crack, then rappel down. Just for the fun of it! if you look closley you can see our truck way down below.

rockytibby

Climbing a steep mountain or scaling a rock theres nothing like the feeling of having accomplished something most people cant do. Its an awesome rush. Plus if you tell me I cant do it I will and succed. Plus it helps to be an adrenaline junkie.

Jobiwan

Not being a climber, but having climbed in the past. I though it would be fun and also for the challenge. On our free time off from training at Fort Irwin in california, we would free climb up this large crack, then rappel down. Just for the fun of it! if you look closley you can see our truck way down below.

Awesome photos Sarge!

HikingGuy

I would have to say it is the adrenaline. I would love to try rock climbing sometime. I do like spelunking though, it is so much fin rock hounding too.

Hikinggirl

For me, it is pushing yourself to the limits, conquering your fears....and being in touch with the rocks...and that awesome view!

dinosaur

troublemaker
I've done a lot of things in my life including some climbing. Some of the things I've done I did because I wanted to and some because I wanted to see if I could. All of it has to do with living. Everyone wants to live but few people really do live. Most just watch.
Granted, if you are a parent, you owe it to your children not to do anything dangerous enough to kill you unless you have to.

Climbing, like so many other inherently dangerous sports is done for the experience of doing it. But, as a wise man once said,: Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

greentea

It's fun. What more of an answer do you need, some people are contempt with taking a walk and some people see a vertical formation of rock and think "wouldn't it be fun to see what's on the top". There is no clear explanation why you like or dislike something.

charley

Rockclimbing is both a physical and mental challenge. It can get scary but I am too focused on what I am doing for an adrenalin rush. It gets me outdoors in beautiful places.

ejdixon

I'm just curious what it is about rock climbing that appeals to people. It seems so dangerous to me! Is it the adrenaline rush that goes with taking a risk, or what?
For me, it's that sense of accomplishment of being able to push myself just a bit further to go to the top. It's my personal way of being able to overcome the "you can't do it" mindset.

Hector

I've never gotten into climbing but it does not really seem so dangerous as long as proper precautions are followed. I just never did it because It just seems to danged strenuous. I'd rather just hike up the other side in order to see a view.

As someone who wants to start rock climbing, the appeal for me is being outside, using my body, connecting with nature, and seeing and doing things that are uncommon and "outside the ordinary". I want to lead an exciting life, full of adventure, so that when I "settle down" and have kids, I'll have stories to tell them and an example to set about how I lived my life to the fullest and got everything I could out of it.

dinosaur

troublemaker
All really good answers. There is one other thing. Oldsarge's pictures are great. But I'm certain he will say they don't really capture the view he had while doing it. No picture in the world can capture the experience of any view or activity