What's The Easiest Way To Carry A Baby On A Hike?

Gopher

I was just curious. A friend of mines wife just had a baby and we were discussing going on some hikes next summer. What would be the easiest way for us to carry our new little hiker on a hike?

nomad

How old is the baby? There are many baby-carriers that you can use for hiking. What you have to decide on is where to place the baby whether at the chest or at the back.

Shanna

When my son was little (about 6-8 months), I used a sling for the front. It seemed natural for me to carry him there and he was comfortable. After he got bigger than that we got one of the frames for us to use to carry him in the back. He loved that and would sit for hours in that thing.

Gopher

The baby is due in February so it will be a couple of months old when we start to hike with it. Is it easier to carry the baby in the front or in the back. This is their first and I have no clue as we didn't travel when our kids were that young.

Lightfoot

My daughter got one of the backpack carriers made especially for that type of thing. She loved it and we all took turns carrying him.

drake

If it's a younger baby, he's carried in the front using a baby backpack so that the parent can keep an eye on him. If it's an older baby, he's more comfortable being carried at the back but hike with the group so that another hiker can keep an eye on the baby behind the parent.

3ofusnow

For that age the safest and most comfortable for the baby is going to be the front carrier so he can rest his head against who ever is carrying him. I wouldn't use a back carrier until the baby is old enough to hold his head up on his own.