When See A Shark...

nomad

What do we need to do when we see a shark? Sharks are attracted by something that is struggling in the water so trying to get back to the boat as fast as possible is somewhat precarious as it makes the shark more curious. Staying still will just make me nervous and might end up swimming back to the boat.

I've read an article that poking the shark's eyes will surely turn them away. I don't know if I have the courage to wait and poke one of the shark's eyes.

Archer

You can slowly swim back to the boat while minimizing the splashing you are doing. I've seen sharks while snorkeling before and been left perfectly alone. I think the eye-poking idea is something that should be reserved for if the shark actually comes at you, not something you should wait around to do or swim toward the shark to do.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I don't know. I never ran into a shark in those circumstances but I do love a shark steak.

nomad

I don't know. I never ran into a shark in those circumstances but I do love a shark steak.
So do you love shark fins as well? Seems like more sharks (or shark fins) are eaten by humans than sharks killing humans.

Archer, what type of shark did you see while you were snorkeling?

OldBoyScout

my first shark was a white tip --- simple solution : get another diver between shark and you. That's why we use the buddy system - in case you had wondered.

OldBoyScout

back in the day, we carried "bang sticks." Not sure if they work but we really felt tough. Wonder if anyone really used one? Anyone?

RabbyTat

Been all over, but MS and LA at the moment
Where you are and what type of shark are important details. I spent a lot of time and money to swim with sharks in parts of the Pacific that are safe to do this. There are other places where I would not consider it.

Also, there is a huge difference between a white tip reef shark and a white tip shark. Take the time to know them. One is like a puppy and the other is a serious risk to a diver.

While in Palau a diver panicked near a large number of assorted sharks and rose from the reef to swim for the surface before a guide could grab her. The rest of us were surprised by the change in behavior of the sharks. The gray reefs became very interested, but did not actually give chase. The guide placed himself between her and the sharks and then caught her for a safety stop. Brave and skilled fellow.

I would not flee in panic from a shark after seeing that such behavior truly did attract their interest so strongly.

scubaghost

Stay below them if you can. I know I'm crazy and have actually tried to catch them. That seemed to surprise them and with a couple of flips of the fins and they were out of sight. Amazing how fast they are. If you have to defend yourself either find a way to hit them in the nose or put your head between your legs.