When you Just Aren't Prepared to Camp

Chippin

Ever had one of those days where you aren't ready to camp, to hunt, to even enjoy your outing?

My worst experience was two summers ago when we rushed to a campground 40 miles away without doublechecking that we had everything. We had the tent, but no sleeping bags. The fishing poles, but none of the worm bait we had bought the day before.

We had to improvise by digging out a small patch of earth searching for worms as bait everytime we lost one to a fish. That's harder than it seems in the hard cracked earth than you would believe.

Not having the sleeping bags wasn't as bad as we thought it would be, but it gets a little chilly at night. Would have been nice to keep warm in something.

Lorax

I'm usually organized enough to have my trips, even those on the spot go pretty well. What I hate is being rushed to fit in some back country time between work schedules and making sure everything else is done first. Then it's a mad dash to throw a pack together.

Having good storage and a large gear room works well and i haven't had any disasters, but getting it all together in a rush is often frustrating until I take my first few steps on the trail.

Makes it all worth it.

Barney

Yes those are the days my friend. I had them and I know I will in the future because in spite of my excellent organization my remembering skills are slowly fading on me. :)

Refrigerator

Never had one of those days Chippin. I mentally prepare myself even before I pack my gear and as I do pack I am refining my choices and direction on exactly what my needs will be. By the time I do get out there I am set and if I did forget something I know it will not happen again. At my age with my experience I don't forget anything or at least in the past 12 years.....12 years ago I did forget toilet paper and now make sure this is always in my pack before anything else.....yea I used leaves back then but when you can have the real stuff of luxury, lightweight and can be used for many things why forget Toilet Paper!

Rider One

We all have days like that. I call them the un-fun days because I love to have fun and sometimes I just can't. The only good thing is that they aren't very frequent and once they're gone, it's back to having a good time.