When you take the dogs

Greatoutdoors

When you take your dogs camping with you if you leave your campsite do you leave the dogs or do you keep them with you?

rockytibby

We always camp with our dogs and take them on hikes or off roading in the jeep. I would never leave them unattended at the camp. Some state parks do not allow dogs on the trails so I dont go to the ones that will not except dogs.

freedommachine

The dogs go everywhere with me and my wife. I wouldnt like leaving them in case somone tried to hurt them. I would feel pretty stupid if somone attacked me and my wife and my dogs that is over 170 pounds is tied up miles away. Like rockytibby said a lot of place you cant do that.

Sammee

Yeah, agreed, dogs always go with us because that's why we take them. We love their company and they love ours. They'd be really unhappy to be left in camp!

mccallum

Most of the time dogs will go with this year. We have always taken the lap mutts kennel/crate; so we have left her in the tent in the crate. When we go this year we will have to deal with a 50 plus pounder as well as lap mutt; no issue putting lab mixes crate in the van but who knows. The only place they can not go is the swimming area and I bet we can find a way to keep them with us but not on the beach! Besides; I want to get Bear in the water and what the heck biscut might as well go in too!

Grandpa

I'm sad tonight. Tank and I took a hike today and tonight he is so sore he can hardly get up. I'm afraid his trail days are numbered. Labs are prone to arthritus so I'm told. For the past two years we have been giving him a Senior blend dog food that contains glucosimine and chondroitan, which has helped a lot and an occasional ibuprofin after a hike. Oh well, we'll still take him to the ballgames. He lays and watches every pitch, head swinging back and forth following the ball. And on occasion, he let's out a little woof to tell the umpire, "bad call". When one of the grandkids gets up to bat, he sits up and if the kid gets a hit he stands and woofs and wags his tail.

BritishInvasion

I'll typically take my dog with us when we camp. However, be sure to check ahead of time if the site allows dogs at all, or allows them on trails. Found out the hard way when a ranger found me on a trail with my pup.

BirdBrain

I'm sad tonight. Tank and I took a hike today and tonight he is so sore he can hardly get up. I'm afraid his trail days are numbered. Labs are prone to arthritus so I'm told. For the past two years we have been giving him a Senior blend dog food that contains glucosimine and chondroitan, which has helped a lot and an occasional ibuprofin after a hike. Oh well, we'll still take him to the ballgames. He lays and watches every pitch, head swinging back and forth following the ball. And on occasion, he let's out a little woof to tell the umpire, "bad call". When one of the grandkids gets up to bat, he sits up and if the kid gets a hit he stands and woofs and wags his tail.
I'm so sorry to hear this, Grandpa. I know my dogs are my best buds and we go everywhere if I'm camping out. I have always had dogs as companions going with me and would miss them terribly if I didn't have them around.

Judy Ann

Sorry to hear about Tank. Maybe if you don't let him run too hard, too long or climb high boulders and slow the pace a little he'll keep going for a lot longer. My dad's lab has been gimpy for a long time now, but he still likes his walks and it has kept him going long after we thought he wouldn't be able to. Dad won't let Sparky (15 years) run but a little ways anymore, walks him for a few miles daily, has been known to give the ol dog massages when he hurts and probably has put a heating pad on him from time to time. You might want to find out from Tank's vet the maximum amount of glucosamine and condroitan that he can take daily and increase the dose.

I was hiking with a vet once and when her dog overdid things gave her aspirin. I would imagine that just like with people that could lead to GI bleeding if done too frequently.

Hopefully by the 3rd or 4th day Tank will be back to himself, especially if you start getting some warm weather soon! Hope he feels better soon.

LOL about the ball games. Sparky watches the kids play tennis and used to sit under the Chair when dad was officiating matches.

southerngal

Oh she definitely stays with us. She is a beautiful fawn colored pit and somebody would probably try to steal her. Plus it her vacation too! :)

Grandpa

Hopefully by the 3rd or 4th day Tank will be back to himself, especially if you start getting some warm weather soon! Hope he feels better soon.
Thank you for the concerns but He was okay this morning. Good enough that when I was working in the garden he slipped away and went down to see his dog friends at the neighbors a couple miles away. No more pity for him, :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

He came back soaking wet from his dip in the crick with a big old smile saying" ha ha fooled ya"

Last edited:

Grandpa

He knows I don't like him going down there so after his little escapade, he has this grin on his face saying ha ha whatcha gonna do about it.

rockytibby

Grandpa, just for future reference I worked for a vet. a few years back and some of the older patients the doc put them on a medication for arthritis called Rimadyl. It seemed to work real well on working dogs like labs. Just a thought.

Grandpa

Grandpa, just for future reference I worked for a vet. a few years back and some of the older patients the doc put them on a medication for arthritis called Rimadyl. It seemed to work real well on working dogs like labs. Just a thought.
Thanks Rocky, I'll call him today

BUUZBEE

Tent Camper :)
We only take our dog when we go to the lake. If we are going to the Sierras, we dont take her. At the lake, she's with us always, and only gets put in her crate when we head over to the showers.