Where are all the leaches?

limbs

There used to be a place here where you were sure to get leaches if you went in. The strange thing is that you can go in all you want now and never get leaches. What happened to all the leaches? It makes me wonder if this could mean there is a contaminant in the water that could have killed them.

sailorman

The PH of the water could be high enough that they do not want to live there. Leaches will try to stay away from all acidic water sources.

Hyde

Consider yourself lucky, did you know that a leaches could kill you if you did not remove them? Also, I didn't know that fish ate leaches. What sort of fish might do that?

campclose

What are you trying to catch leaches for? I think they are pretty gross too and I'm glad that I don't see them when I jump in the cricks around here. We still do a leach check when we all get out of the water.

Grandpa

Consider yourself lucky, did you know that a leaches could kill you if you did not remove them? Also, I didn't know that fish ate leaches. What sort of fish might do that?
Leaches will fall off on their own after their appetite is sated, usually 20 minutes to 1 hr. (so I read, never studied them myself) but they can carry HIV and Heptatitus B, at least those diseases have been found in them in Africa. Other than as a carrier of secondary diseases, I didn't read anything about long term danger.

Maybe as Chad said, if a bunch latch on it might be fatal.

ChadTower

I've had enough leeches on me that I don't want to think about how many. Not dead yet.

It's the leeches on my wallet that get to me!

Judy Ann

Leaches are used frequently in certain plastic surgery cases. As Grandpa mentioned, they let go once they have had their fill. We keep count of them in the hospital and my biggest fear is stepping on a full one...too gross.

I haven't seen one in a long time out in the wild, but I still check for them when getting out of the water.

wvbreamfisherman

Check out Bogart's encounter with leeches in "The African Queen", or Willian Holden's encounter in "The Bridge Over the River Kwai". Classic cinema!

Oh, and pH works out so that more acid = lower pH (down to 0) and more alkaline= higher pH (up to 14). Pure distilled water has a pH of 7