Where do you buy your camping gear?

MarkBren

Where do you buy your camping gear? I mostly get my gear from Cabela's. I can usually find everything I need there. The staff is well informed and can be very useful when you're not quite sure what you want.

Judy Ann

My Kodiak canvas tent came from Cabellas, my solo backpacking tent was designed and purchased from here in NC (LightHeart Gear), and most everything else gear and footwear related from REI. They offer a lifetime guarantee for returns of merchandise and you get a 10% dividend annually plus a 20% off coupon. Most everything was purchased on sale including my SPOT. My car camping airmattress came from Wally World. My family gives me gift certificates to REI and Dicks which covers incidentials.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I used REI, moosejaw, amazon and sunny sports. Now that I have my big items mostly it's REI or amazon, whatever is cheapest. I buy some small things from a "local" store (it's an hour drive to Columbia, SC but we go there every few weeks).

bsmit212

I get most of my big stuff and re-useable gear at REI. Like Judy said, if you become a member they offer a lifetime warrenty on any item bought on your membership, dividens on what you buy, and tons of cupons. Their lifetime warrenty is great too, I had the zipper break on an REI Travle sack and could not find a replacment, so I took it in to see if they had one and not only did they exchange for a new travle sack I got about $10 back because the sacks had been reduced in price from when I had bought it. For most of my other stuff like bug spare, food, etc. I will normally get whereever is convenient at the time.

danny28

REI? Is this an online store? I've never seen one in my area. I buy some from Cabela's and a lot from Dick's Sporting Goods. They have a large camping section. They are a bit expensive though.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I mainly use REI for "good" gear. For stuff I expect a short life from I'll just buy whatever is cheapest. The lifetime warranty from REI is great. Backcounty.com and some other websites have a similar warranty but there's an REI store about 2 hours from here and I like to try on gear like shoes and backpacks before I buy. I have also bought quite a bit from steepandcheap.com This is the same company as backcountry.com and they offer a good return policy so buying something from there isn't really a risk and the prices are hard to beat. Usually it is clearance/last years gear but is still nice.

Lamebeaver

The short answer is "wherever it's cheapest"

Gander Mountain
Cabellas
Walmart
Big 5
Sports Authority
Used to like Sportsman's Warehouse, but the closest one closed.

wvbreamfisherman

All of the above. I dearly love "shopping" at a Cabelas though.

I generally look for the best price on the item I'm ordering. I've ordered a good bit of stuff from Amazon lately.

Quinn

I like to shop online, because I hate to go to the store. I shop online with Cabellas a lot. I also like to keep my eyes open when I go to garage sales. I have found some seriously quality stuff that way.

Refrigerator

Here are a few I buy from. I have many more especially specialty backpacking high end gear.

Backcountry.com: Outdoor Gear & Apparel by The North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Arcteryx & Other Top Brands
Outdoor Survival Tools & Gear | ARC'TERYX, Patagonia, Mammut, Rab, Black Diamond Equipment, Integral Designs, MSR Tents, The North Face, Marmot, Mountain Hardwear
Camping Gear & Outdoor Gear - Outerwear & Outdoor Clothing from Campmor.com
REI - Top-Brand Outdoor Clothing, Footwear & Gear for Spring Adventures
Sierra Trading Post - Great Deals. Great Brands.
Shoes, Jackets, Oakley, Brooks | ZBSports.com
Mountain Hardwear | Shop Jackets, Clothing, Tents, Sleeping Bags & Backpacks
Alaska Mountaineering & Hiking is Anchorage's climbing, hiking, backpacking, paddling & skiing HQ!
Altrec.com - The North Face, Patagonia, Backpacks, Running Shoes, Camping Equipment, Oakley Sunglasses
GearZone.com - Montbell | Salomon | Black Diamond | Backpacking | Trail Running | Climbing | Outdoor Gear & more.
Outdoor Gear from Big Agnes, Mont-Bell, Granite Gear, MSR, Therm-A-Rest, Gregory, Golite, Marmot, Mountain Hardwear & More :: CampSaver.com
Backcountry Gear - Lightweight Backpacking, Camping Equipment, Camping Tents, Climbing Gear, Hiking Gear, Backpacking Gear.
Outdoor Clothing & Adventure Clothing for Camping, Hiking, & Travel | Backwoods
Easton Mountain Products
LeftLane Sports
Nature's Coffee Kettle
Packit Gourmet
Sportsman's Warehouse: America's Premier Hunting, Fishing & Camping Outfitter
Buy/Sell Used Outdoor Camping and Hiking Equipment at GearTrade.com - #1 in Outdoor Gear Exchange

Grandpa

When I decide the need is greater than the want for any item, I start researching on the internet. I find the MSR price, subtract 30 % and buy from whoever will sell it to me for that price. Most of my gear will come from area sports stores that offer occasional discounts. Online, Campmor and Recreational Outlet have treated me the best.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I've bought a lot of gear from Sportsman's Guide but when I'm looking for an integral piece of camp gear I shop REI.

IndianaHiker

Currently I am torn about where to get hear. Up until a few weeks ago purchased everything at a local store. Great people all very knowledgeable and all were backpackers as so also used the gear. The store was great going in there was like visiting with friends and they gave a lot back to the community of backpackers rather you were a customer of theirs or not. Unfortunately they were forced to close. Seems the slow economy hurt sales as did some of the exclusive right to specific brands that another larger local store had managed to get. The brands at the store where I shopped were just as good and often better but not always the ones that people just getting started were used to. Brands like Mont-Bell, Dueter, platypus just don't have the wide spread name recognition that, Mt. Hardware, Marmont, and the North Face have.

I still really want to support a local store rather than purchase online. I also want to avoid shopping at the big box stores since most of the money spent there really doesn't stay in the local economy. I could still go to the one local store that is left but honestly their business practice and just the feeling from walking in is like going to a large chain. However they must be doing well as they have three locations in Louisville. I do know that we are supposed get an REI closer to home but it is 1.5 hours away and is still a large chain.

Guess I will end up ordering online but really hate to do that. One good thing though since the store closed I have found myself not buying as much new gear.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I still really want to support a local store rather than purchase online.
I buy stuff at local stores too when it's not something I might return. We used to have 2 local stores then a larger store opened and the 2 others closed. The new store is not a big box store, just bigger and in a better location than the other 2 and there's not really enough business to split 3 ways in a small town.

I typically use them for things like Nalgene bottles, sale item clothing, etc. For bigger purchases I still drive the 2 hours to REI. I find the staff there just as friendly and knowledgeable as the local stores and you get the lifetime warranty. The selection of camping gear is better from REI too. When I am looking for higher-end clothing, there is another store about an hour from here I use. They have racks and racks of gear that you don't see in stores very often (MontBell, etc) It's probably cheaper online somewhere but I like to try on my clothes before I buy.

I don't test equipment in the local store then buy online though.

briansnat

Platnium Member
For mail order I use:

LL Bean
REI
Sierra Trading Post
Steep and Cheap

For walk in stores I'm lucky to live a short drive from what I believe is Campmor's only brick and mortar store which is a great place to shop. There is another outstanding small outdoors chain nearby called Ramsey outdoors. They have 3 stores that I know of, all in northern NJ. Campmor has a website and catalog and is very popular mail order supplier for campers, bikers, climbers and hikers.

Last edited:

Mr.E

I don't have a place that I prefer. Most of my style camping doesn't require a bunch of high end equipment. Rope, bungees, tarps, tent, mattress, something to sit on, sleeping bag, lighter, water... I guess if I were to really hike (like I used to) that I'd be very interested in traveling light... and I'd be likely to have certain stores and brands I recommend... but, as it is, I just have a bunch of "stuff" from which I choose what I need for any given trip.

I did buy a tent fairly recently... online.

I would add that when I have gone into a Cabella's or Camping World or some other camping related store, I've rarely seen anything that I just had to have. Guess I'm cheap, huh?

littlefire

I also purchase the cheapest, with hopeful quality, of course. I used to buy from WalMart, but I quit shopping there. Unfortunately, Target doesn't have a very good selection of camping gear. I'll have to check out Amazon, I hadn't thought of them.