Where do you buy your camping gear?

Marshmallow

We're like lamebeaver. We get it wherever it's cheapest. Surprisingly, we've picked up a lot of good stuff at yard sales and from other campers who are selling their equipment for various reasons. We have bought things from Cabelas, too, as well as Amazon and eBay.

Milly

I am a big fan of Amazon, but sometimes I like to really check out what I am buying. We do not have a Cabellas very close, but I wish we did. If I want to drive about 45 minutes, I go to Gander Mountain. Nearby, I shop at Dick's, The Academy and two local outdoor stores.

Refrigerator

Dido and Dido

Here are a few I buy from. I have many more especially specialty backpacking high end gear.

Backcountry.com: Outdoor Gear & Apparel by The North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Arcteryx & Other Top Brands
Outdoor Survival Tools & Gear | ARC'TERYX, Patagonia, Mammut, Rab, Black Diamond Equipment, Integral Designs, MSR Tents, The North Face, Marmot, Mountain Hardwear
Camping Gear & Outdoor Gear - Outerwear & Outdoor Clothing from Campmor.com
REI - Top-Brand Outdoor Clothing, Footwear & Gear for Spring Adventures
Sierra Trading Post - Great Deals. Great Brands.
Shoes, Jackets, Oakley, Brooks | ZBSports.com
Mountain Hardwear | Shop Jackets, Clothing, Tents, Sleeping Bags & Backpacks
Alaska Mountaineering & Hiking is Anchorage's climbing, hiking, backpacking, paddling & skiing HQ!
Altrec.com - The North Face, Patagonia, Backpacks, Running Shoes, Camping Equipment, Oakley Sunglasses
GearZone.com - Montbell | Salomon | Black Diamond | Backpacking | Trail Running | Climbing | Outdoor Gear & more.
Outdoor Gear from Big Agnes, Mont-Bell, Granite Gear, MSR, Therm-A-Rest, Gregory, Golite, Marmot, Mountain Hardwear & More :: CampSaver.com
Backcountry Gear - Lightweight Backpacking, Camping Equipment, Camping Tents, Climbing Gear, Hiking Gear, Backpacking Gear.
Outdoor Clothing & Adventure Clothing for Camping, Hiking, & Travel | Backwoods
Easton Mountain Products
LeftLane Sports
Nature's Coffee Kettle
Packit Gourmet
Sportsman's Warehouse: America's Premier Hunting, Fishing & Camping Outfitter
Buy/Sell Used Outdoor Camping and Hiking Equipment at GearTrade.com - #1 in Outdoor Gear Exchange

clewand550

We buy everything from Cabelas. I have a Cabelas not too far from our house. They have everything there that you can imagine needing for camping. it is just convenient for us to go there for all of our camping needs.

Cory

Oregon!
I shop regularly on craigslist... just bought a coleman 8 person tent used ONCE for $20 bucks, set it up and its massive... obviously never to back packing but when i bring friends and family for $20 thats a steal..
But i regularly shop at REI, Fischermans, Dicks, Big 5, Walmart, Costco (good deals here), Columbia (down the street but expensive) and ebay. All in the area!

Craigslist is my bread and butter though, i buy tons of things off craigslist and i also have had awesome luck selling things on their too

Cappy

I start with Google. Find way too many links for the needed item, then boil them down slowly educating my self on quality and price. Armed with that knowledge I check what you folks think then buy. Always try local first, it's way better talking with some wisened ole dude at ya local store tnan "Hadgi" on the internet. What surprised me is that often Google turns up some local shop somewhere. When it does I call them on the phone. Recently I was searching for a fishing bait that I have been using since I was a kid. I was heart broken to find the major companies had dropped it from their product line. I found a local hardware store that listed it, called them up and talked on the phone with some ole dude that was very friendly, and a joy to visit with. I bought every one he had in stock, and on ocassion drop him an email. I am constantly amazed at the friendly folks I find on the internet. Like you guys.

carmen

We still try to buy local if we can. We are near a town that has a ton of mom-pop shops and we would love to be able to give back to the community a little more. The other thing about shopping online is that the shipping is sometimes a killer.

Cappy

We have a Cabellas and an academy with in a half hour and a bass pro shop about 2 hours away. One trick I find useful is to go to their online sites and have stuff shipped to our local stores where I pick it up. Often times things are not stocked so this hybrid way to shop insures that what ya looking for is there waitin for you. It's free shipping that way too.

switchback

I wouldn't have half the gear that I have now if it wasn't Sierra Trading Post. My budget won't permit me to pay full retail for much of my gear, so STP has been great. I also shop on line with Campmor and REI Outlet.

dinosaur

troublemaker
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Wal-Mart. I've purchased quite a few items there. They have good fishing gear and name brand ammunition. As for camp gear, the accesories are fine but if you are going into even moderate extremes, your tent, backpack and sleeping bag should be purchased elsewhere. You don't want leaks, tears or freezing nights.

Of course I always test my gear first no matter where it is purchased or what the brand name is.

Last edited:

Otto

I tend to go to the store to buy more quality assurance.Although the Internet will be cheaper, but the fear of poor quality.

IndianaHiker

Many keep saying Cabellas, Gander Mountain, Dicks, and Bass Pro. Wonder what type of gear you all are buying there. Thinking it must be more car camping than backpacking. I have never found much at any of these places for backpacking. Have I just been in smaller stores or something?

rubbersoul

Gander Mountain and Cabella's definitely have some backpacking gear, but they are both more geared towards car camping. I shop at both of these places, but REI is my go-to-place for gear. They are having a big anniversary sale starting this Friday that might interest you folks. 20% one item for members, and a bunch of random stuff discounted. I am thinking about getting the Gregory Boltero 75 backpack from there during the sale which should be about $190 (reg $320) after the additional 20%.

Eaglescout 49

Former backpacker, now car camper.

My gear comes from a variety of sources, including Cabela's (my favorite) -- camp kitchen, cot; Lowe's Garden Center -- Camp Chef 3-burner; Gander Mountain -- Camp Chef 2-burner (the 3-burner proved too big); Mountain Gear -- Big Agnes Big House 6 tent; Target -- air mattress, first aid kit; WalMart -- coolers; K-Mart -- lanterns; Scheel's -- flashlights, water filters, insect repellents, camp soap, etc.

I don't buy from the manufacturers -- their products are usually available cheaper elsewhere. Even if it is list price on Amazon, the shipping is free

Snakestriper

Cabelas return policy has gone down hill and their "Cabelas" branded merchandise is suppose to have a lifetime guarantee.....????

Absolutely I buy from BACKCOUNTRY.COM AND REI.COM, they stand behind all the products they sell with an unconditional, no questions asked return policy.

Grandpa

Sportsmans Warehouse, Snake River Sporting goods, and Smith and Edwards for in store. Campmor, Backcountry and Recreation Outlet for online.