Where/how did you learn to scuba dive?

Katydid

I know very little about this activity/sport/hobby, but my husband is really starting to become interested and wanting to learn. Anyone here who is certified? Did you take a class or learn from private instructors? What are the things we should look for as far as training goes? How long does training usually take? Really, any information would be appreciated.:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Bushman

Learning to scuba dive and becoming a certified diver is actually pretty easy.

The first thing you need to do is find a dive instructor or dive school, depending on where you live this may be really easy or very difficult. After you find a dive school, you sign up for classes and you have to do several hours (I don't remember exactly how many) of theory and class work.

Once you have completed the theory portion then you are in the water with dive gear. The instructor will take you into a pool first, a few times so you can become accustomed to the water, looking at your gauges, breathing underwater and moving in the water.

After your instructor sees your are comfortable with the equipment you will have some open water dives and then a night dive, maybe not in that order, but you get the point.

All in all.... it may take a month or two, depending on how your instructor schedules your classes to become a certified diver. The classes are usually easy and geared toward the individual learner. In other words the instructor will go as fast or as slow as you need him or her to go for you to understand everything.

When I got certified (years and years ago) it only cost about $200 or $300 for everything, if I remember correctly, but like I said that was many many years ago.

Good luck and have fun!!!

jason

fear no beer
My friends went to one of the local dive shops to get certified. They got really lucky in my opinion. The dive shop also does diving video's for Discovery Channel. I wish I could remember the name of the shop. I do not know if they still do it or not, but they are supposed to have some great talent there. They even got their cave diving done there.

campernewbie

I have a friend that I will be visiting next summer who is an instructor and while I have never been I have been reading up a great deal. Its amazing to think that there is an entire other world we take for granted when there are many who are not fish in water types.

campgirl

:tinysmile_fatgrin_t Thanks bushman for all the information. I want to snorkel sometime. I'm thinking about taking a training course and then going for it.

I think it would be so cool to be under water looking at all the gorgeous fish.