Who likes the taste of squirrel?

LingMoon

This is one thing I have yet to try. I know some people love it. Does it depend on the type of squirrel? How did you cook it?

jason

fear no beer
I have yet to have it. I have a friend who would be willing to clean it though. I do not know if he has ever had it.

crow killer

where i am we only have grey squirrels, and we cook them all kinds of ways from over a fire, to fried like chicken!

CRhoads

If you cook it right, it kinda tastes like chicken. In Arizona, Abert is the largest and tastes better than grey squirrel.

Stevealb

Steve Albers
You can't beat a pot of squirrel and dumplings after a hard day's hunting. Have also eaten them fried, and grilled. Not sure that I can compare them to chicken though, but they are quite edible. Most game cookbooks have numerous recepies in them for these tasty little critters. And what better way to teach a youngester to hunt and enjoy the woods.

dinosaur

troublemaker
We have Fox Squirrels and Piney here. I just made a large pot of squirrel chili this last week. It was delicious.

shante

euphorbia
I have had it fried, bbqed as well as deboned and stuffed wth garlic and onion, rolled and broiled.

its ok with hot sauce.

zach

i like grey squirrel , i have had them fried and beer batterd on the bbq but there by far the best deap fried.

Dougdad

archeryaddict
I hunt squirrels allot, my favorite recipe calls for a good soaking in salt water, 12 hrs is good, then I boil them till the meat falls off the bone. I then use a stroganoff mix or cream of mushroom soup for a sause and mix the meat in with the noodles and sauce. emm emm
I have found it to a bit tough unless well boiled or cooked for a long time in a slow cooker.
Boiled then BBQed is good too. any rabbit recipe is a good bet for tree rat!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

greensteelforge

Squirrel makes the best meat pie I've ever eaten. It takes about four red fox squirrels, or six-plus grays, but it's worth the work.

dinosaur

troublemaker
i like grey squirrel , i have had them fried and beer batterd on the bbq but there by far the best deap fried.
Congratulations, Zach! You are the first person on this site to give me a new idea. I've had fried squirrel but never put it into a deep fryer. I take it you just coat them like you would a chicken before they go in the fryer. If there's anything else you do to prep them please let me know as it is the middle of squirrel season here and I may be going out today.