Why do you fish?

Joe S.

People go fishing for a wide variety of reasons. There are people who enjoy it, and then there are those other people who just HAVE TO do it. Why do you fish?

Erwin

I enjoy trying to catch 'the big one' and it is relaxing to me to just be out their with my tackle and pole and nobody bothering me. It is my time for myself, except when I am teaching my son, then it is good father son time!

jason

fear no beer
I enjoy it for multiple reasons. One is fresh fish tastes great. Another is sometimes I just like the peace and quite and do not care if I catch anything. Just being outdoors on the water in the kayak is just relaxing enough.

Chippin

Well I started fishing because it was tradition. I didn't go to Disneyworld when I was a kid, I went out fishing! I started by catching little bluegill to eat and then moved on to bigger fish like bass and catfish. It's fun and relaxing, and I especially enjoy fishing in the morning when everything is still quiet and there's still mist out on the lake. Those are the best times.

Rider One

Uh, well, actually I don't fish. My uncle was a big fisherman, though. He used to go all the time. It was his biggest source of fun in the world. I feel too guilty myself to fish, though. I always think of Mr. Limpet.

Bambi

For me it's not so much why I fish, it's more like what would happen if I didn't fish. I fish so I can see my husband. If I didn't fish, I wouldn't see much of him!!

Frederico

My dad and uncles fished and my cousins and I were taken fishing before we could walk. It's just a part of my life. As an adult it is also an escape from computer screens and TV's - I find it very relaxing and full of happy memories.

dinosaur

troublemaker
My dad and uncles fished and my cousins and I were taken fishing before we could walk. It's just a part of my life. As an adult it is also an escape from computer screens and TV's - I find it very relaxing and full of happy memories.
Good post, Frederico. I was taken fishing when I was three. I sat between my Daddy's legs in the bottom of the boat and was allowed to reel in some of the fish. I was also allowed to eat them. They are wonderful.

The saying goes: Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.

I also remember reading a poem written by some anonymous poet that ended like this: Fishing is not a sport. It is a disease and thank the Lord, there is no cure.